Kann jemand hier Deutsch sprechen?

I'm in Germany too (have been for 8 years now) so a bit far away to make it to the Stammtisch, but it's interesting to see how many forumers have a German connection. Any more out there?

Feel free to pass on any technical/grammatical questions - I can refer them to my 3 young children who are always more than happy to point out my own mistakes!

Originally posted by cgksheff

Dari mana, Pak?

My profile says Hillsborough,I only did that because there is usually hundreds of Malaysian students in Sheffield.Maybe a multi lingual forum may be better.Although the way some people's English gets slagged off,perhaps not,who knows whether English is the first language of posters?

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Joule

edit: I love the username sauerkraut

Thanks for that! First thing that came into my head when I had to come up with a username. I wonder why....

Has anything come of the Hillsborough Stammtisch? I hope to be over for a visit in a week or two so might be able to call in if it's up and running by then.

Well, keeping it English so the moderators are happy - there are Germans living in Hillsborough, so the Stammtisch is in with a chance :) *And* I own a very funny (fully choreographed) German a-capella version of 'Hit me baby one more time' :) If there are still thoughts about the Stammtisch...I'm new to the forum, and not sure I've got time to organise it, but happy to join in...

Also happy to lend/give away (depending on what it is) German materials (books, magazines, films) if anybody feels like practising - send me a pm.

Thanks for the welcome :)

I have to admit, after nearly 11 years here (7 in Sheffield), I don't *sound* - or even feel - particularly German, but seeing as part of my work involves *being* German, I can't really say I'm not :) Even though I've taught adult ed, I had no idea there were this many interested people around. Although I am fully used to comments like:

'Oh, you're German? I've been to Germany once - we stopped at a welcome break on the A1 (M1 equivalent) - do you know it?'

:)

Archived