Lots of Wii's for sale on here..

There seems to be an awful lot of second hand wii's for sale alately.

I remember when wii's came out and alot of people said they were just a novelty.

So was it do you reckon?

I bought one on launch day and got rid of it a couple of months ago due to the lack of decent games coming out. Nintendo and other developers seemed happy to appeal to the masses with identikit party games. Nothing wrong with it but for new quality products gamers need to get a PS3 or 360.

Got to admit I hardly use mine, but the nephews still use theirs every day.

It said a lot for the amount of decent games out for it though when 2008's top christmas games were Mario Kart and Mario/sonic olympics. And 2007's top christmas games were the same.

I bought one on launch day and got rid of it a couple of months ago due to the lack of decent games coming out.

Got it at Xmas '06, got rid by June '07 here.

It was, and still is, a novelty - to an older generation of game players, that is. The gameplay of 'typical Wii games' is not that different from Nintendo's very early Game & Watch games, when you think about it. Only the interface differs.

For non-players (of any age) who just happen to fall into it now, and younger players not weened on 8 bits or 16 bits (and/or ZX/C64 etc.), I can understand that it would not appear so.

Got it at Xmas '06, got rid by June '07 here.

It was, and still is, a novelty - to an older generation of game players, that is. The gameplay of 'typical Wii games' is not that different from Nintendo's very early Game & Watch games, when you think about it. Only the interface differs.

For non-players (of any age) who just happen to fall into it now, and younger players not weened on 8 bits or 16 bits (and/or ZX/C64 etc.), I can understand that it would not appear so.

To be fair though there are some quality games on the Wii, most notably Super Mario Galaxy which is the best game of the last few years only any console. Put that together with Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition, Mario Kart Wii, Metroid Prime, Smash Bros, Tiger Woods 09 & LoZ: Twilight Princess and it is impressive. The problem these games have been out for years now and there is nothing major on the horizon.

I don't think Nintendo were ever aiming for the ps3/eggbox shootemup market but the other female/children market. My daughter has one and loves it so much she's bought a DS too......she'd not play the fps on the ps3 or eggbox anyway but plays mario games, animal crossing and a whole host of other stuff which is more suitable to her agegroup.

Archived