Lots of Wii's for sale on here..

I'd consider getting Wii Fit, but Mum won't let me, she says I'd wreck the Flat moving about to the exerciess! (OK I know I could stand to lose a bit of weight but I'm NOT a chuffin' Elephant!)

To be fair though there are some quality games on the Wii, most notably Super Mario Galaxy which is the best game of the last few years only any console. Put that together with Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition, Mario Kart Wii, Metroid Prime, Smash Bros, Tiger Woods 09 & LoZ: Twilight Princess and it is impressive. The problem these games have been out for years now and there is nothing major on the horizon.

For sure, there are quality games on the system - like on any system (well...except the Supervision, for those who remember it :D)

E.g. I agree that SM Galaxy is superlative, and truth be told, it's the only game I really enjoyed while I had a Wii. To my mind it is to the Wii, what SM64 was to the N64.

My point was that most games (not all games) on Wii are just rehashes of earlier IP with motion control tagged on, or new IP built around the motion control, which does not necessarily make for a better game/better gameplay (relative to conventional 'joypad' -type games on xbox/ps). That is why I consider the Wii a 'novelty'.

The controllers definitely reel you in with their novelty factor but it does wear pretty thin pretty quick. I don't think a desire to play computer games and a desire to exercise necessarily go hand in hand. I think game play in some of the titles is actually compromised by the wonderful novelty controllers. Mario Galaxy for example

There have not been enough games for 'hardcore' gamers which is the problem. Plus when you have been to work all day you just want to veg out a bit with something, not bounce up and down on a tea tray (Wii Fit) or conduct an orchestra (Wii Music).

It's a console full of rubbish 3rd party 'shovelware' which fair enough appeals to young kids and people who never considered picking up a gamepad before, but I know loads of 20/30something gamers who got one and have now finally realised it is utter rubbish.

For sure, there are quality games on the system - like on any system (well...except the Supervision, for those who remember it :D)

E.g. I agree that SM Galaxy is superlative, and truth be told, it's the only game I really enjoyed while I had a Wii. To my mind it is to the Wii, what SM64 was to the N64.

My point was that most games (not all games) on Wii are just rehashes of earlier IP with motion control tagged on, or new IP built around the motion control, which does not necessarily make for a better game/better gameplay (relative to conventional 'joypad' -type games on xbox/ps). That is why I consider the Wii a 'novelty'.

I agree, although I loved my old N64 more than any other console. SM64 still wipes the floor with the majority of todays games on any console.

We were considering buying a Wii a couple of months ago, but decided for the different variety of games and the ability to expand, we bought and Xbox instead. We still have interactive games with the Xbox like that You're in the Movies so you can run around like an idiot if you want to, but it will probably stand a better test of time than a Wii.

I think perhaps Wiis are good for the kids, but Xbox or PS3 are better for adults or more serious gamers.

Not that Nintendo will be complaining, they must be absolutly minted. Especially because the Wii is the only console that actually makes money.

Not true. Microsoft also make a profit now on Xboxes thanks to the lower production costs of the new Jasper chipset.

Archived