Netherfield Hall, Woodhouse

Strix

does anybody have any history on this building?

it's something I frequently see pics of, and the dates seem to suggest that it only stood for 60 years, which seems a ridiculously short space of time for such a substantial building

does anybody know why it's lifespan was so short?

Replying to Strix: Netherfield Hall stood near Woodhouse grammar school on a site now covered by the new Brunswick retirement village (and perhaps might have provided a more fitting name for the village). Before its demolition in the 1930s, Netherfield was owned by the Dunston family, who farmed much of the surrounding land, and later set up the garage and filling station, now demolished, at the junction of Beaver Hill Road and Retford Road. Netherfield was known to older Woodhouse residents as Pigturd Hall (don't know why).

According to my parents who have lived in Woodhouse all their lives and are approaching 80:

Netherfield Hall was owned by the Ward family. They bred pigs in the fields at the back of the Hall, hence the 'Pig Turd Hall'.

My dad says his cousin Ken Atkin was a gardener for the hall in the '30s. Then they remember the hall being in ruins for some time before it was demolished.

Apparently there was an article about the hall written by local historian Len Widderson(sp?) that was either a pamphlet or in the Church magazine. Someone must have a copy.

Apparently the hall stood just above Woodhouse grammar school, but not as far up Station Rd as Rodger Rd.

Hello Strix: Netherfield Hall stood some 150 or so yards below Rodger Road, overlooking the tennis courts at the old Grammar School and about 20 yards in from Station Road, in line with the topside of the restaurant in the new retirement village. Sorry I don't know why it had such a short existence. Suggest you look at the central library's Picturesheffield website.

Does anyone know if there is a book or pamphlet for sale on the History of Woodhouse by Ernest Atkins.

I know he wrote extensively about the history of the Woodhouse area but I have never seen a book for sale.

PopT

Does anyone know if there is a book or pamphlet for sale on the History of Woodhouse by Ernest Atkins.

I know he wrote extensively about the history of the Woodhouse area but I have never seen a book for sale.

PopT

There is a copy of the Atkins book in Sheffield Archives and possibly in Woodhouse Library but it was never on sale apparently. I know someone with a poor quality photocopy of it if you want any specific info.

I have a scan of ‘Gathered Fragments of the Past & Present History of Woodhouse’ by William James Le Tall (pub1876)

In it there is a short history of the Ward family. For four generations they were cattle dealers and when George Ward one of the youngest generation came to retire he had Netherfield Hall built in 1870. It says that while in business George Ward paid particular attention to ‘pig-jobbing’ whatever that was?

according to the library database there is a copy of the atkins book at woodhouse library

Was pig jobbing to do with breeding/mating them?

thanks dublugee - a very accurate location! picturesheffield is where I keep seeing it crop up, but the information stored with those photo's is rather abysmal really. I'm pretty certain many of the photo's of people would have been supplied with a full list of names, but they've become anonymous faces now - disappointing for those researching family histories, and let's face it, who's doing the most historic digging now?

Strix

You are right in what you say about the photos of family groups.

I submitted one about 18 months ago with my ancestors children.

It has just appeared with the family name on it and the date 1910.

When I submitted it I gave the name and age of each child and the actual date the picture was taken which is pretty uncommon with old photographs

They ignored the information and so, as you say anyone doing family research will miss out on that information.

So much for archiving Photographs, how manu pictures have we looked up on the site not knowing the information given to accompany the picture?

Archived