Bistrot Pierre near Somerfield, Ecclesall Road - have you been?

SMD13

Well i went in for drinks on Tuesday night and it was very busy, no off hand staff very welcoming indeed, must of been around 30 people eating and about 12 in bar area. Cant wait till pay day to go and try it, smelt beautiful and after talking to some1 it appears the food is very good quality. Very reasonable prices and some offers also in the day.

Prices do seem decent, especially at lunch. I was a little disappointed with the menu when I looked at it. You'd hope a place that sets itself up as a French bistro will look beyond the usual duck confit, beef bourgignon and so on . . . . stuff you can cook at home.

Anyhow, can't knock the place as I haven't tried it and it does look nice. The big tell for me is whether there mussels come vacuum packed like Café Rouge, or heaven forbid, they come in fresh and someone actually SCRUBS and COOKS them.

been tonight, table of 7

bar service was a little slow but not probs really.

Were shown to excellent table and and what followed was great food, nice wine and excellent company. The Fresh bread to start is really too good, we all could have eaten that and gone home with out main meals !

I had the special of belly pork which was top class, and the creme brulee was amazing. the food price was not bad and the wine was gd and not too bad price wise - but was pleased to find aussie red in a 'French ' place

All in all, as someone who will complain if I have to, I thnk we all had a splendid night. well done to all the team and hope this place goes well.

will def go back

Went and tried the early menu last week 2 courses £ 12.90 excellent! staff lovely all friendly and chatty even when they started to get busy around 8 definatly going again don't dismiss it just cos people say it's a chain they only have about 5 branches good atmosphere too

• 2 weeks later...

So here goes with my quick review! Just to give an insight to the customer lol I am early 30's, have worked at 3 1 Star Michelin restaurants, 1 2 Star and a AAA 5 Diamond, so I have spent a fair bit of time in restaurants.....

Arrived with no booking on Wednesday evening, table of 4 and a table of 2 already waiting in the bar area, were greeted by the bar man who offered us a drink and made enquiries as to whether we had a reservation or not. He then sorted the drinks and asked if we wanted them on the bill for dinner, we said that would be fine. Now the other waiting tables had been offered menus and olives while waiting, for some reason I wasn't, not the end of the world. It seems that the bar man also has to play host, making him quite busy with new bookings, reservations and drink making as well as letting people know their tables are ready upstairs. They will need a host I expect if they are to maintain service standards, being as busy as they seem.

The bar and restaurant are nicely decorated with a modern feel with a little 'French' thrown in with old signs and painted slogans.

We were told our table was ready but had to find our own way to the restaurant through what is actually signed as the toilets, they need a Restaurant this way sign on the same door!

We were seated by a window and the restaurant had probably the best part of 60 people dining, which for a Wednesday I woud consider busy in Sheffield. The waitress was foreign, maybe French, not too sure as she didn't talk too much, but was perfectly efficient. She showed us where the special board was and took further drinks orders. The manager brought the menus and also explained about the 3 course menu with wine. The waitress returned and offered us bread and olives and took the order.

Our order was as follows,

Brioche et champignons Brioche toasted & served with creamy wild mushrooms & Alsace bacon £4.95

Not bad, flavors good, but slightly dissapointed with it being only button mushrooms, could have had a few Chanterelle or Shiitake. Also the Brioche was slightly more bread like than toasted, maybe due to the sauce making it soggy.

Filet de mulet rouge Pan-fried fillet of red mullet with ratatouille, olive oil & lemon £4.95

Nice sized piece of fish with good flavor and nice vibrant colured ratatouille. (Not mine)

Filet de porc Pork fillet with grain-mustard sauce, caramelized apples & Stornoway black pudding £10.95

Excellent, tender pork with lovely topping of black pudding, sauce not over powered by the mustard, with sweet apples off setting the black pudding and sauce.

Suprême de poulet Marinated chicken suprême with field mushroom & caramelized red wine shallot sauce £11.50

Also very good (Not mine) but enjoyed thouroughly by my friend.

Also the mains are served with 'family style' vegetables and potatoes of the day, in this case being red cabbage, broccoli and dauphinoise potato, all also very good. (No extra charge) Though other chargable sides are available.

Sticky Toffee Pudding £4.50

Large portion of dessert served with a small side of ice cream, sauce thick and the sponge very light, delicious.

Chocolate Mousse Special £4.50

Average, not bad, but have had better.

So all in all I would definitely return, probably a few minor points to be ironed out but in general the menu is right up my street, with friendly efficient service and food that rated 8/10, I think it is well worth the £50 for 2 including drinks and tip.

Sheffield Bistrot Home

http://www.lebistrotpierre.co.uk/contentpage.aspx?tabId=72

Menu Link

http://www.lebistrotpierre.co.uk/media/LBP/pdf/menus%200801/Menus%2008/evening_menu_winter-spring-09_A4.pdf

Our order was as follows,

Brioche et champignons Brioche toasted & served with creamy wild mushrooms & Alsace bacon £4.95

Not bad, flavors good, but slightly dissapointed with it being only button mushrooms, could have had a few Chanterelle or Shiitake. Also the Brioche was slightly more bread like than toasted, maybe due to the sauce making it soggy.

Yum, that Brioche sounds delicious. Might try there one day, do they have a dress code at all?

:huh:

Unless I picked a bad time to visit I would dispute the positive comments.

We went for the early bird menu (just before it finished) and the starters were luke warm. I had the brioch and thought it was quite bland. We both then had the worst looking salmon we've ever seen. All goodness had been cooked out of it (the method of cooking was not clear) and the sauce that sounded so nice on the menu looked watery with an ugly oil slick in it. (If you watch kitchen nightmares it was a bit like the guy in Devon who bought lamb shanks that were vacuum packed and lasted a year in the box ready to be brought to life with a zap in a microwave.)

We left and thought that it would die on it's knees if everyone had the experience we had just had. It's on my doorstep and I'll certainly not be rushing back.

:huh:

Unless I picked a bad time to visit I would dispute the positive comments.

We went for the early bird menu (just before it finished) and the starters were luke warm. I had the brioch and thought it was quite bland. We both then had the worst looking salmon we've ever seen. All goodness had been cooked out of it (the method of cooking was not clear) and the sauce that sounded so nice on the menu looked watery with an ugly oil slick in it. (If you watch kitchen nightmares it was a bit like the guy in Devon who bought lamb shanks that were vacuum packed and lasted a year in the box ready to be brought to life with a zap in a microwave.)

We left and thought that it would die on it's knees if everyone had the experience we had just had. It's on my doorstep and I'll certainly not be rushing back.

How very odd. First post, and expressing an opinion which flies in the face of everyone else's experience. It's like those people who's first post is ranting and raving about a new restaurant. A vested interest, perhaps...? :suspect:

Archived