Bistrot Pierre near Somerfield, Ecclesall Road - have you been?

SMD13

Hi all!

I like it! I've been a few times now as I live nearby and I haven't had any problems with it (and I like good food!). The staff are always friendly and don't make you feel rushed and their early bird is amazing value!

The only slight negative was that the last time we went we sat in the window at the back and it was a bit strange looking at Somerfield while we ate!

Abbie x

The wife and I went yesterday and I was very impressed.

I like the feel of the place, the food was excellent and the price very reasonable. Our only complaint was that we felt a bit rushed (as soon as the first course's plates were removed our main courses arrived). We told them about this and they apologised (and it certainly appeared that our waitress was getting a talking to as we left the restaurant).

We paid £60 including 15% tip and this included a bottle of wine and an espresso. The restaurant was packed as we made our way to the very quiet bar downstairs. Again, I like the feel of the bar and as it was my wife's birthday we opted for a bottle of Champers at £59 which was okay.

All in all an enjoyable experience and yes, we'll be back.

• 5 months later...

I was thinking of going tonight, early doors - any more recent experiences to report? I've looked at their website, a bit puzzled as to how they can have the same menu across so many widely dispersed restaurants & still claim to be sourcing locally? And I notice seasonal asparagus - in September? Local? I hardly think so. Puts me off a bit!

I was thinking of going tonight, early doors - any more recent experiences to report? I've looked at their website, a bit puzzled as to how they can have the same menu across so many widely dispersed restaurants & still claim to be sourcing locally? And I notice seasonal asparagus - in September? Local? I hardly think so. Puts me off a bit!

Well as far as I know though the menu is designed and implemented by an Executive Development Chef that is based at head office but travels to each restaurant weekly, they source through local suppliers for the ingredients, e.g. Leicester uses local suppliers, Sheffield etc, they dont all get all their stock from the same people. Apart from the Chicken (comes from France) and Beef (Pasture fed Scottish).

As for the Asparagus the menu is due to change to its Autumn menu shortly, so I would assume it is changing or it clearly must be imported as the season ended late July.

I can't actually see where on the menu it says sourced locally? Can you link me to the page you saw it? All I can see is this-

We try and source our produce responsibly. We buy the finest, fully traceable, 21 day-aged beef from Scottish pastures. Our fresh chickens and eggs are free-range! All of our pork is outdoor reared and RSPCA Freedom Food approved.

Le Bistrot Pierre are informal, friendly and lively bistros. Our ethos is: “Great value, delicious cooking in a busy, buzzy atmosphere from a friendly and professional team enjoying themselves”

For anyone wanting to see the menu's in full they are here.....

http://www.lebistrotpierre.co.uk/contentpage.aspx?tabId=14&type=menus

(PS, Before the forumfoodies claim I am biased or know too much, I do now work there! As a barman, so don't know everything about the kitchen before you ask!)

Thanks jamesogt. I thought I'd seen a previous poster referring to locally sourced - my apols if it doesn't apply. And since my previous post I've been to my local shops & seen what is claimed to be English asparagus on sale - so looks like I may have been too quick off the mark there as well. Still, I prefer my asparagus 'in season' which to me means May/June.

Thanks jamesogt. I thought I'd seen a previous poster referring to locally sourced - my apols if it doesn't apply. And since my previous post I've been to my local shops & seen what is claimed to be English asparagus on sale - so looks like I may have been too quick off the mark there as well. Still, I prefer my asparagus 'in season' which to me means May/June.

In which case you should give it a go, then you can report back for others interested, 2678687 is the number. I would suggest booking as it is generally very busy.

Three of us went for the 'early bird' menu the other week. It was very good value and we would definitely go again. Thought the large glass of wine was a bit steep though now I think about it, but would still go back, and buy a bottle this time!

Archived