Has your driving licence expired?

im certain us old people who only have paper one are happy cause we wont have to shell out money every ten years for a new one:thumbsup:

but there are provisions (yet to be enacted) in the Road Safety Act (2006) that will "encourage" you to get a two-part licence.

And for anyone who has to check licences (of work colleagues, say) the paper counterpart and photocard MUST be a matching pair to be valid (check the last digits of both licence numbers - "18" on photocard and "18A" on the paper bit, for example.)

A good few try to pass off non-matching pairs in an attempt to hide the reality of 12 points (and a ban) with the presentation of an earlier requested duplicate counterpart that shows only 9 points.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Resurrecting an old thread here but it was stated in Saturday's Daily Mail that around 2 million people are driving without a valid driving licence. I just wonder how many people assume incorrectly that the photocard licence expires at the age of 70, when in fact it only lasts 10 yrs. I thought I'd check mine, it expires in April next year, good job I looked!! I suggest you check yours now!!!

Unwitting motorists face £1,000 fines as thousands of photocard driving licences expire

no, stupid motorists who have paid no attention to their license over 10 years face the fine.

but this is a really old thread, so probably wise to let it die.

Resurrecting an old thread here but it was stated in Saturday's Daily Mail that around 2 million people are driving without a valid driving licence. I just wonder how many people assume incorrectly that the photocard licence expires at the age of 70, when in fact it only lasts 10 yrs. I thought I'd check mine, it expires in April next year, good job I looked!! I suggest you check yours now!!!

You get a reminder sent. I did for my last renewal. I wonder how many don't even notify the DVLA of a change of address.

That'd be a bit of a silly assumption for anything with your photo on surely?!

I also read somewhere recently that in about 2 years time the DVLA are going to make the old style paper licenses obsolete ( the ones which last until the driver is 70 ) I suppose we'll be notified through the post and have to apply for the new type. Another nice little earner for the DVLA !

Archived