Has your driving licence expired?

Resurrecting an old thread here but it was stated in Saturday's Daily Mail that around 2 million people are driving without a valid driving licence. I just wonder how many people assume incorrectly that the photocard licence expires at the age of 70, when in fact it only lasts 10 yrs. I thought I'd check mine, it expires in April next year, good job I looked!! I suggest you check yours now!!!

Link here:

More than two million motorists are unwittingly getting behind the wheel with an out-of-date driving licence that could land them with a fine of up to £1,000, a survey reveals today.

Whilst I think the 2m "unwittingly" figure is probable an exaggeration even on Planet Fail, I wouldn't be surprised to know there was 2m drivers wittingly driving without a licence.

Sad to see sccsux's name reapear. I always liked his dry sense of humour.

I lost my wallet a couple of years ago so had to pay (I think £20) for a new license. I threw in a couple of old passport photos I had found from my school days in with the application pack and also put in a letter asking if they could kindly update my photo at the same time.

They updated my photos, but the photos were much older than ones on my original driving license! :hihi:

I also read somewhere recently that in about 2 years time the DVLA are going to make the old style paper licenses obsolete ( the ones which last until the driver is 70 ) I suppose we'll be notified through the post and have to apply for the new type. Another nice little earner for the DVLA !

Can we assume that some things are done by Govt's without any "nice little earner" motivation.

2014 will see the end of the two-part licence - paper counterparts will cease to be issued. The photocards will stay without any technological additions (no chips on the card).

Old style paper-only licences may also go although I've not read anything that confirms this. Without going down an i.d. Card route I think it's reasonable to expect drivers uniformly to hold a photo card rather than holding 16 scraps of paper.

Can we assume that some things are done by Govt's without any "nice little earner" motivation.

2014 will see the end of the two-part licence - paper counterparts will cease to be issued. The photocards will stay without any technological additions (no chips on the card).

Old style paper-only licences may also go although I've not read anything that confirms this. Without going down an i.d. Card route I think it's reasonable to expect drivers uniformly to hold a photo card rather than holding 16 scraps of paper.

does this mean we will all be forced into paying for checks on your license when hiring a car. presently you can take your counterpart to prove you have no convictions, but if they have to check with the DVLA, you are charged.

does this mean we will all be forced into paying for checks on your license when hiring a car. presently you can take your counterpart to prove you have no convictions, but if they have to check with the DVLA, you are charged.

Good question ... that I can't answer. If you hire regularly, let's hope the charge is no more than the current 50p per minute rate charged by DVLA. But if you do, you'd be best advised to have the hirers use a third-party licence checking service (having signed a mandate).

Good question ... that I can't answer. If you hire regularly, let's hope the charge is no more than the current 50p per minute rate charged by DVLA. But if you do, you'd be best advised to have the hirers use a third-party licence checking service (having signed a mandate).

Ha, not as cheap as that. The last time I hired a car it cost somewhere between £10 and £15 to have your license checked.

This is probably a really stupid question, but do you have to take another test at 70 if that's when it runs out? I've never known anyone have another test that's all. Very confused :hihi:

No, you just have to renew the licence (its free) and declare that your eyesight still meets the standards and have no medical conditions that affect your driving. You have to do this every three years after you turn 70.

I think the DVLA should check peoples' eyesight, for everyone, not just elderly drivers.

No, you just have to renew the licence (its free) and declare that your eyesight still meets the standards and have no medical conditions that affect your driving. You have to do this every three years after you turn 70.

I think the DVLA should check peoples' eyesight, for everyone, not just elderly drivers.

Ah right, thanks! Yes, I agree. I think people should be retested too.

Archived