Has your driving licence expired?

I also read somewhere recently that in about 2 years time the DVLA are going to make the old style paper licenses obsolete ( the ones which last until the driver is 70 ) I suppose we'll be notified through the post and have to apply for the new type. Another nice little earner for the DVLA !

Can we assume that some things are done by Govt's without any "nice little earner" motivation.

2014 will see the end of the two-part licence - paper counterparts will cease to be issued. The photocards will stay without any technological additions (no chips on the card).

Old style paper-only licences may also go although I've not read anything that confirms this. Without going down an i.d. Card route I think it's reasonable to expect drivers uniformly to hold a photo card rather than holding 16 scraps of paper.

Q: if the old ones are expressly valid until age 70, I wonder how HMG has acquired power to revoke that validity.

Q: if the old ones are expressly valid until age 70, I wonder how HMG has acquired power to revoke that validity.

No idea whether they have or whether there are clauses that allow them to override whatever was in place before. Maybe the whole thing will go through under an EU harmonisation clause.

No point in getting on a high horse about it, methinks. (Shrugs, I've already paid for mine.)

---------- Post added 07-01-2013 at 19:12 ----------

Ha, not as cheap as that. The last time I hired a car it cost somewhere between £10 and £15 to have your license checked.

Ouch! Particularly if they dialled 0906 139 3837, the 50p per minute line to the DVLA if you were standing by ready to authorise the DVLA to talk to the car rental bod about the status of your licence.

I renewed my oh's when he got to 70 which cost £20. does it need renewing again now he's 75, and if so how much?

I thought it needed renewing every 3 years after 70. Check the category expiry dates on the back of the photo card (column 11)

Yeah I did! Is that why?

I'd suspect so...when you pass your test the provisional is converted to a full licence so it's not really a new one..in your case it was already 2 years old so that's why you'll have to renew it earlier than you thought..

Yeah I did! Is that why?

Your photo is only valid for ten years, regardless of how long your licence is valid. They will have reused your provisional photo on your full licence, hence the eight year expiry as that's ten years from the time they started using the photo.

I'd suspect so...when you pass your test the provisional is converted to a full licence so it's not really a new one..in your case it was already 2 years old so that's why you'll have to renew it earlier than you thought..

Ah, that makes sense now then. Not really fair though!

Your photo is only valid for ten years, regardless of how long your licence is valid. They will have reused your provisional photo on your full licence, hence the eight year expiry as that's ten years from the time they started using the photo.

I'd have rather sent a new photo and had a license that lasted 10 years! I was never told that however long I had the provisional would be taken off my full license. I only got my provisional so I had ID to go drinking! Oh well. Suppose I get to change the very young photo that I don't look like at all! :)

Archived