Has your driving licence expired?

Ah, that makes sense now then. Not really fair though!

I'd have rather sent a new photo and had a license that lasted 10 years! I was never told that however long I had the provisional would be taken off my full license. I only got my provisional so I had ID to go drinking! Oh well. Suppose I get to change the very young photo that I don't look like at all! :)

That's why they have to be changed every 10 years....

That's why they have to be changed every 10 years....

Mine wasn't really me when I was 18 to be fair, I was 16 on the photo but refused to pay for a new one so just sent that basically.. I look much much different to when I was 16! Then again, I suppose I will look a lot different in 10 years time from now..

I can see why they should be replaced, but then I also think people should be retested too. (not every 10 years though)

Mine wasn't really me when I was 18 to be fair, I was 16 on the photo but refused to pay for a new one so just sent that basically.. I look much much different to when I was 16! Then again, I suppose I will look a lot different in 10 years time from now..

I can see why they should be replaced, but then I also think people should be retested too. (not every 10 years though)

With the prospect of an imaginary re-test, how are you preparing for it, yourself?

- reading?

- refresher training.

Maybe you have done your fair share of refresher training.

Or is it everyone else that needs a refresher and a re-test, in your view?

By the way, I agree with you to a degree - there ought to be a need to refresh, brush up and extend one's driving skills but very, very few volunteer for it.

And re-testing won't necessarily achieve a great deal - for one thing, at what level/standard will the re-test be assessed, will it be fault-based (L-test with a fault allowance) or qualitative (defensive, Advanced)? Some drivers have poor general attitude but are able to polish their act up when required. How would you root out these?

Ah, that makes sense now then. Not really fair though!

I'd have rather sent a new photo and had a license that lasted 10 years! I was never told that however long I had the provisional would be taken off my full license. I only got my provisional so I had ID to go drinking! Oh well. Suppose I get to change the very young photo that I don't look like at all! :)

I did the same, got my provisional license when I was 18 as ID, but I didn't pass my test until 6 years later when I was 23, so my first pink (full) photocard license only lasted four years.

With the prospect of an imaginary re-test, how are you preparing for it, yourself?

- reading?

- refresher training.

Maybe you have done your fair share of refresher training.

Or is it everyone else that needs a refresher and a re-test, in your view?

By the way, I agree with you to a degree - there ought to be a need to refresh, brush up and extend one's driving skills but very, very few volunteer for it.

And re-testing won't necessarily achieve a great deal - for one thing, at what level/standard will the re-test be assessed, will it be fault-based (L-test with a fault allowance) or qualitative (defensive, Advanced)? Some drivers have poor general attitude but are able to polish their act up when required. How would you root out these?

I'm not driving at the moment, but before I start again, I'm definitely taking a few lessons on 'basics' to make sure I've not become a bit rusty. I don't want mine or anyone elses safety to be at risk because of my driving.

I haven't put as much thought into it as you seem to have :hihi: . I just see a lot of people who have been driving for a long time, who just don't know how to drive, have forgotten or don't care. The perfect example was, one of my friends was learning to drive and was taught by a parent who had passed a long time ago, and was told to indicate around cars that were parked, now obviously now we're not told to do that and to just make our intentions known by positioning of the car etc. So they failed their test for that. Little things like that can all add up.

I don't think people should have their license revoked for 'failing' the 'test' but I do think there should be some type of refresher course that people must attend every few years.. 10 or 15?

---------- Post added 09-01-2013 at 11:20 ----------

I did the same, got my provisional license when I was 18 as ID, but I didn't pass my test until 6 years later when I was 23, so my first pink (full) photocard license only lasted four years.

We should have got one of those proper ID cards! I never knew all this :hihi:

Archived