Heeley Palace - Saturday Club

Dorset Blade

Does anyone remember the late 1950s Saturday morning club for kids at the Heeley Palace? Such master pieces as the Cisco Kid, Flash Gordon, the Lone Ranger and numerous cartoons.

How every-one used to boo and hiss:) when the heroine fell over when being chased by the villain, or when the manager used to stop the film, come up onto the stage and tell everyone to behave or he would cancel the show.

I think the prices were 9 old pennies downstairs and 1/6 upstairs. We used to like it in the balcony because you could thow empty ice cream tubs and lolly sticks onto the audience below.

As part of the membership pack I seem to remember a sheriff's badge advertising Star Cinemas.

Happy Days!!!!

Dorset

Hi Barber,

You are probably correct in your dates - my memory must have been at fault, it was about 1960 now that I think about it. I don't remember the PG Tips' stamps though.

They always showed a crime drama as well didn't they (Sexton Blake?) and the film always finished with the hero apparently doomed, only to escape miraculously the following week.

Cheers for now.

Dorset

The Heeley Palace, Colosseum, Heeley Green and Abbeydale cinemas were all my childhood haunts.

I recall one "scary" film at the Palace which ended when a skeleton appeared on a wire above the stalls and moved towards the balcony. Must have made an impression ! Can't remember the film's title though.

Flash Gordon, complete with his sparkler driven spaceship, was the best on a Saturday. No matter what predicament he faced in one episode you could guarantee that by the next Saturday he'd found a way out of it.

Happy days indeed ; when a tub or a choc ice cost 6d.

Archived