Castlefolds market

carimeo1

Hi tillerman,or if i am right should i say D--e ,can you remember me having my tea at your house on pagehall road and then you took me out on a blind date to the beighton miners welfare club to see the everly brothers tribute band,pete and geoff=The everlys were great but that Blind date was something else!! You should have warned me to take a big paper bag for obvious reasons LOL. I remember you driving your dads mk 2 zephyr,,Lovely memories.:help:

Hi Gadget man. Certainly remember Pert and Geoff. Also the gas guzzling Zephyr but you got me on who you are. I worked that club myself, along with most of the clubs in Sheffield. Sounds like your date was a bit of a whatsit. What was mine like? I reminder Sonia, she was cool but oh how time fades the memories!

Hi Gadget man. Certainly remember Pert and Geoff. Also the gas guzzling Zephyr but you got me on who you are. I worked that club myself, along with most of the clubs in Sheffield. Sounds like your date was a bit of a whatsit. What was mine like? I reminder Sonia, she was cool but oh how time fades the memories!

yes your girlfriend at the time was sonia,my name is pat and i worked with you on Barlows when your dad percy was the salesman ,pert and Geoff gave us all a lift home in their car;Ford pop 100e and dropped me of at the bottom of Handsworth hill/couldn't wait to get out as i was squeezed in the back with my blind date and even after 8 pints she didn't change in to Raquel Welch ,lol. I ran all the way up prince of wales rd.:love:

can anyone remember working in the castlefolds market (fruit & Veg ) I used to work for a stallholder called cartledges in the middle avenue opposite ken harris and stan taylor, this would be around 1960, great times but was hardwork as potatoes were in 1cwt sacks then, having to pull barrow loads of spuds up south street, used to have our breakfast in mays cafe at bottom of broad street, used to catch the tram car in a morning to get there and sometimes fall asleep sat in the front bay of the tram upstairs because it was rocking so much, but fond memories anyway.

I never worked in Castlefolds but my maternal grandfather used to take me in there regularly to see Cumbledge's (not sure about the spelling). If I remember it correctly, their stall was on the corner of one of the aisle but also faced towards Exchange Street/Victoria Station. Grandad had been associated with Cumbledges since the early 1900's when he and Gran ran fruit and veg. shop on Harvest Lane. In his later years (he died in 1958), he looked after Cumbledges warehouse, which was in one of the arches under Victoria Station. You accessed it on a dirt road from Furnival Road.

My Dad's side of the family were friends with Len Cornthwaite, in fact a couple of relatives worked for Len at one time or another. His stall was on Sheaf Street, opposite Sheaf Motors.

All a long time ago.

Regards

yes your girlfriend at the time was sonia,my name is pat and i worked with you on Barlows when your dad percy was the salesman ,pert and Geoff gave us all a lift home in their car;Ford pop 100e and dropped me of at the bottom of Handsworth hill/couldn't wait to get out as i was squeezed in the back with my blind date and even after 8 pints she didn't change in to Raquel Welch ,lol. I ran all the way up prince of wales rd.:love:

Hello Pat. Those were the days eh? Lots of Sonia's since then. Though I live in central France I commute back to the uk to see the grand kids quite a lot. Usually come over in the car, not a Ford these days, but still a yank. Flying over on Saturday bringing my 4 year old granddaughter back, she spent the summer with us, then driving over in November hoping to catch a school reunion just heard about on this forum.

How are you keeping, ok I hope

Hello Pat. Those were the days eh? Lots of Sonia's since then. Though I live in central France I commute back to the uk to see the grand kids quite a lot. Usually come over in the car, not a Ford these days, but still a yank. Flying over on Saturday bringing my 4 year old granddaughter back, she spent the summer with us, then driving over in November hoping to catch a school reunion just heard about on this forum.

How are you keeping, ok I hope

Hi tillerman=D,Yes i saw you on the brook school thread. how long you been living in france and what made you go over there.I am retired now after a lifetime of hard graft with very little reward like so many others eh ,D, what did you do in your working life after the hard market graft ?, I did a variety of jobs =HGVdriving,drayman on wards brewery,NCB coal deliveries,market work again,then finished my working life with the council=driving bin lorry etc and clearing council houses after tennants been evicted or they just done a moonlight etc.

Archived