Oak cakes and Pikelets

cazremo

I remember that one well,used to go swimming at glossop road baths and call there on way home, luvly jubbly...............:thumbsup:

I used to swim at Glossop Rd Baths I went to school at Notre Dame in Cavendish St. This Pikelet thing is having wide repercussions am having to find recipes for milkcakes and oatcakes for my sister in switzerland. As she was the one to go and fetch them as I was working at Enzo's hairdressers in Abbeydale Rd on saturdays. The tea would be rounded off with a Birds Eye cream sponge oh the calories!!! whilst we watched Dr Who. Now poor sis can't sleep for thinking about them!!!:help:

i remember a piklet shop on worksop road i think that was the road.on our way to school hunsmans gardens annexe.my brother and i use to call and buy one dont remember having margarine on we ate them dry.

Oatcakes and pikelets always reminds me of the following story.

My grandparents lived in a village just outside Sheffield in the 1920's. Every week the oatcake and pikelet man would walk round the village with his large wicker basket, shouting in his "light" high pitched voice, "Oatcakes and pikelets".

One day grandad, who was profoundly deaf, was sat outside the front door reading his newspaper. Two of my uncles who were in their early teens, and were always up to some mischief, were hiding behind the garden hedge. As the pikelet man came down the street, my uncles started to mimic his cries in falsetto voices. As he came near to my grandparents' cottage, grandad must have seen him out of the corner of his eye. Grandad looked up from his newspaper, just in time to see the pikelet man stick his tongue out at him. Grandad muttered to himself, "What's up wi that silly bugger?". Meanwhile both my uncles were rolling about with laughter.

Thee old Pikelet man used to come up Foxhill Avenue,(late 70s) He must have been 350 years old.My mum used to buy them off him because she felt sorry for him.

Can't really remember what they tasted like though.

The oatcakes and picklets from the shop in Hillsborough were delicious. I liked to go there not only to watch the picklets being made but to stroke the huge black and white cat that slept amongst the piles of cooked oatcakes and picklets in the shop window. Can you imagine this happening today?

Thee old Pikelet man used to come up Foxhill Avenue,(late 70s) He must have been 350 years old.My mum used to buy them off him because she felt sorry for him.

Can't really remember what they tasted like though.

They used to taste gorgeous once hot and with melted real butter!

Would probably give me indigestion now lol.

Archived