Edinburgh or Glasgow for a weekend?

Thanks all. Is the Haymarket area within a decent walking distance of Edinburgh centre, as a couple of hotels I've looked at are around there?

As for gigs (which I always try to get to see at least one wherever I go), Glasgow seems better. I've been looking thro gig guides and loads of bands just seem to miss out Edinburgh altogether. Whereas for comedy nights, Edinburgh seems(?) the better, with Jongleurs and a few others.

Think I'm edging towards Edinburgh for my first North of the Border visit.

Thanks all. Is the Haymarket area within a decent walking distance of Edinburgh centre, as a couple of hotels I've looked at are around there?

As for gigs (which I always try to get to see at least one wherever I go), Glasgow seems better. I've been looking thro gig guides and loads of bands just seem to miss out Edinburgh altogether. Whereas for comedy nights, Edinburgh seems(?) the better, with Jongleurs and a few others.

Haymarket station is about three minutes run into Waverley. It would be about fifteen minutes walk.

http://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/thedvairghotel.html?aid=320752&tab=2&label=tripadimg-901-231275&lang=en

That is a guest house my family has used many times. Coates Gardens is just across from Haymarket station.

There is a Jongleurs in Glasgow - its right near the Walkabout.

But in Edinburgh, Waverley is the station in the middle of town.

What you have to realise is that Edinburgh is VERY Hilly. It may look like something is close, but maps don't show you the hills.

(well, maybe its just the Royal Mile hat goes straight up, but as most roads lead there - most roads seem to go up.

I went to Edinburgh in September, after the festival finished. It wasn't busy at all and i had a wonderful time.

If you're going on the train keep your eyes open for the platform your train leaves on. I missed my train because they switched platforms and didn't tell us, and only got on the 2nd train an hour later because of a nice train manager who told me "they do it all the time".

If you're going on the train keep your eyes open for the platform your train leaves on. I missed my train because they switched platforms and didn't tell us, and only got on the 2nd train an hour later because of a nice train manager who told me "they do it all the time".

I drive trains for a living, so reckon I won't get caught out:hihi:

Ta for the heads up tho.:thumbsup:

Stay in Edinburgh and go through to Glasgow for the day, only 45 mins on the train and buses pretty regular. If staying in Edinburgh try Travel Lodge Hotels good deals on just now 2 hotels up by Haymarket station and 1 in city

This seems like the best solution. I've never been to Glasgow, but can confirm that Edinburgh is a beautiful city. Lovely places to eat and drink, good walks and loads to do. great for a weekend.

Archived