Edinburgh or Glasgow for a weekend?

If you choose Glasgow, on NO account stay at the Merchant Lodge Hotel (3 star).

When I stayed there 3 years ago, breakfast was served until 8.45 am.

At 8.43 the staff gathered in the corridor outside the restaurant, and at 8.45 on the dot in a regimented manner they all marched in line and cleared the buffet table wityhing thirty seconds, without one single word of warning they intended to do so, and indeed they took great delight in performing their duty.

So IF you might have wanted another piece of toast at 8.46 am, it was tough.

All cleared.

The second morning I piled up enough extra, to have been charged with food hoarding!

But, I've never stayed anywhere else like it, and hopefully never will again.

As regards comedy in Glasgow, I'm sure the pub Billy Connolly started out in is still going. Can't remember the name of it, but it's one of the oldest in Glasgow, and is situated between the St Enoch centre and the river.

• 1 year later...

Just revisiting this thread because we are going to Edinburgh for a week in February and a work colleague was surprised that we were choosing to go there rather than her home town of Glasgow.

She suggested a day trip into Glasgow when we are up there.

Are there any "must do's" in Glasgow? Decent places for lunch, nice museums/galleries, good real ale boozers that we could get round in a day?

....have you visited either of them already swordfish?

Edinburgh is fantastic for the tourist experience, but Glasgow is surprisingly good too and worth a visit if only to eat at Rogano's Oyster Bar, which is like an opulent 1930's cinema.

Roganos is awesome mate, i love glasgow and lived there for 3 years. Edinboroughs more touristy and more to see but Glasgow beats it for living hands down.

Just revisiting this thread because we are going to Edinburgh for a week in February and a work colleague was surprised that we were choosing to go there rather than her home town of Glasgow.

She suggested a day trip into Glasgow when we are up there.

Are there any "must do's" in Glasgow? Decent places for lunch, nice museums/galleries, good real ale boozers that we could get round in a day?

Hiya,

Yeah Glasgow is my nearest city, being 100 miles away ! It is great to spend time there.Kelvingrove museum has great exhibitions on, as does Glasgow school of art.There's the transport museum too.You can ride the subway to Great Western Road which has a range of bohemian shops and interesting bars(Sort of a grander Ecclesall /London Road in Sheffield)

A good place to eat is Cafe Andaluz in the centre of Glasgow, fab Tapas dishes, loads of choice and for all tastes. As for 'Real ale' pubs, I'm not sure, Scotland doesn't seem to go for that in quite the same way as England does, (Much to my son and daughter in law's annoyance when they come to visit!)

Hiya,

Yeah Glasgow is my nearest city, being 100 miles away ! It is great to spend time there.Kelvingrove museum has great exhibitions on, as does Glasgow school of art.There's the transport museum too.You can ride the subway to Great Western Road which has a range of bohemian shops and interesting bars(Sort of a grander Ecclesall /London Road in Sheffield)

A good place to eat is Cafe Andaluz in the centre of Glasgow, fab Tapas dishes, loads of choice and for all tastes. As for 'Real ale' pubs, I'm not sure, Scotland doesn't seem to go for that in quite the same way as England does, (Much to my son and daughter in law's annoyance when they come to visit!)

Thanks for that whitehorses :)

I was surprised by how many top quality real ale pubs are in Edinburgh. I remember years back when the only beers available in Scotland were the God awful Tennants and McKewan 70/80 shillings :gag:

Archived