What was Gibbs Yard/Borough Mews, Bedford Road?

Smack Jack

I remember being told that there was an elephant which worked at Tommy Ward's Brewery, and as it was too big for their stables it was stabled at Tomlinsons - maybe that is what the ramp was for :)

According to the wife's aunt now in her 80's they used to stable animals from visiting circus' there, as for getting an elephant up the ramp I think there would be more manure from the stable hands than the elephant.:D

Years ago I was shown around this building and the stables were definitely upstairs. Sadly my memory has gone and although I was told the reason why I have forgotten!

I dont doubt the stables being upstairs, look at the amount of horses that were in use, I did enquire about records for Tomlinsons a few years back and was told they got chucked when they last moved:(

Wow I havent checked this thread for a while as it had proved to be dead in the water. A little more information and interest seems to have come to light though. Stables upstairs? I have two floors of one of the original buildings and on one of the exposed walls there are rings for tethering horses too, so this would make sense. Stabling for what though? Taxi pulling horses? I've often wondered who or what is buried in the court yard. One of the cobbles has a large hand carved cross in it so something is I reckon? The place is very mysterious as nobody seems to know a proper chronology or what the building was used for

I always wondered what all the ring things were too, there seems to be lots of mysterious things about the flats that nobody understands! I would love to see what they looked like before they were converted.

Eugh do you really think something is buried in the courtyard? I have never had any spooky happenings in my flat until I read this thread but since then lights have been flickering and all sorts!

I just wondered if anyone knew a little about the Borough Mews/Gibbs Yard buildings on Bedford Street. Google is not my friend with this and will not yield me an answer. There clearly is much new build on the site but there are also a couple of conversion blocks. They look Georgian to me and I figure must have a former industrial use?

Jack. My father went to school with Joseph Tomlinson,and worked as a lad cleaning horses bits in cold water and sand, starting at 6am, later in life he drove horse cabs for this firm,and his father [my grandfather] before him, he drove a team called a -4 in hand- on hilly routes, l have posted a photo of him on the other forum, at the request of a member, this photo was to be hung in the Sportsman Barnsley rd, where outside this photo was taken , he died at 36 after a kick from one of his team getting a stone from its hoof, my father in 1930 drove taxi's for the same firm for a short time, but drove for himself the rest of his life, back to the mews it stabled up to 300 horses on 3 levels grd; first and 2cd ramps the coaches and cabs were kept in the very large yard, l recall as a young lad seeing these mews and was astounded at the number of horses. l hope this enlights you of those days Cheers Arthur Fearn.

It really does, thank you. We didnt know if it was a welders or which bits were part of the undertakers. Seems our place was part of a three story stables then. I bet it was quite a sight to behold. Do you know approximately when the builidng was erected, and indeed anything about the small grave in the yard?

Jack. My father went to school with Joseph Tomlinson,and worked as a lad cleaning horses bits in cold water and sand, starting at 6am, later in life he drove horse cabs for this firm,and his father [my grandfather] before him, he drove a team called a -4 in hand- on hilly routes, l have posted a photo of him on the other forum, at the request of a member, this photo was to be hung in the Sportsman Barnsley rd, where outside this photo was taken , he died at 36 after a kick from one of his team getting a stone from its hoof, my father in 1930 drove taxi's for the same firm for a short time, but drove for himself the rest of his life, back to the mews it stabled up to 300 horses on 3 levels grd; first and 2cd ramps the coaches and cabs were kept in the very large yard, l recall as a young lad seeing these mews and was astounded at the number of horses. l hope this enlights you of those days Cheers Arthur Fearn.

I always wondered what all the ring things were too, there seems to be lots of mysterious things about the flats that nobody understands! I would love to see what they looked like before they were converted.

Eugh do you really think something is buried in the courtyard? I have never had any spooky happenings in my flat until I read this thread but since then lights have been flickering and all sorts!

Have you checked out the map on picturesheffield, I have it on my wall at home. I do think there is something buried in the yard, or else why the hand carved cross on the cobble. May be a horse like, but I wondered if anyone know. Pm me if you don't know where it is and I shall guide you as best I can

Nice bit of history Arthur, the wife's grt.grandfather used to work for Tomlinsons as a cab driver, family history has it that he used to go to Ireland and bring horses back for them, he died 1904.

Have you checked out the map on picturesheffield, I have it on my wall at home. I do think there is something buried in the yard, or else why the hand carved cross on the cobble. May be a horse like, but I wondered if anyone know. Pm me if you don't know where it is and I shall guide you as best I can

I've printed it off and will do exactly the same. Whenever my friends and family visit, they are really intrigued about the building so it's nice to show them a picture now!

I saw the cross, after reading on here, I had a look for it and found it!

Thanks for all the info, what a great place to live!

Archived