Lent - what are you giving up?

I am still thinking of giving up chocolate for 40 days and nights (do they have to be consecutive?), the nights would certainly be the hardest. Should I sign up with the NHS quit smoking services and just pretend I'm addicted to fags instead of chocolate for the free support?!

My OH said I'd never do it... so now I'm seriously considering it.

I've not fancied any choccy yet so I have not needed to make my mind up. We are only a few hours in to the day -but I have just read about it starting tomorrow. Can I go and finish off all that I could not fit in to my full tummy after pancakes last night?

My problem is this, I would not be giving up for compleatly religous reasons. Is that bad???? I think I'm doing it now as everyone knows it's lent so I could do it with others rather than in my own time instead of when Jesus or whoever said to do it. Let's face it though if I had more willpower maybe I could be 'treatwise' in the first place. Simply though I am not this.

Maybe I should just give up being Dyslexic for lent :)

I thought lent didnt start until thursday (i could be wrong) as the idea of pancake day was to use up all the milk and eggs in the house and ash wednesday was to use up all the remaining meat etc, therefore leaving you with no luxury products in the house on the Thursday - the official start of lent - and therefore no temptations to break your fast.

"Lent in 2009 will start on Wednesday, the 25th of February and will continue for 46 days until Saturday, the 11th of April.

In Western Christianity Lent begins on Ash Wednesday and concludes on Holy Saturday. The six Sundays in Lent are not counted among the forty days of lent because each Sunday represents a "mini-Easter", a celebration of Jesus' victory over sin and death."

There you go. I never knew the extent of lent, but looking at the content above; it seems that it is perfectly acceptable to break my abstinance each Sunday during the period of lent.

" The six Sundays in Lent are not counted among the forty days of lent because each Sunday represents a "mini-Easter", a celebration of Jesus' victory over sin and death."

Cheers there is far too much on my to-do list to have looked all that up myself!

OKAY OKAY now I'm interested I think I can manage that:)

"Lent in 2009 will start on Wednesday, the 25th of February and will continue for 46 days until Saturday, the 11th of April.

In Western Christianity Lent begins on Ash Wednesday and concludes on Holy Saturday. The six Sundays in Lent are not counted among the forty days of lent because each Sunday represents a "mini-Easter", a celebration of Jesus' victory over sin and death."

There you go. I never knew the extent of lent, but looking at the content above; it seems that it is perfectly acceptable to break my abstinance each Sunday during the period of lent.

i said i could be wrong :) i was just quoting what my mum used to say :)

so lets get this right you had no alcohol yesterday (tuesday) and lent doesnt start until today (wednesday) so how can you count last night as day 1??? (only asking again :D)

i said i could be wrong :) i was just quoting what my mum used to say :)

so lets get this right you had no alcohol yesterday (tuesday) and lent doesnt start until today (wednesday) so how can you count last night as day 1??? (only asking again :D)

Nah, today is day 1. I havent touched a drop today and wont be touching a drop when I get home later this evening. I am being a bit premature.

Archived