Miners riots in Woodhouse 1890's

PopT

Does anyone have any information about the miner's riots that took place in Woodhouse during the 1890's?

I'm interested in the names of the miners and their subsequent treatment.

It would be good to learn the circumstances that led to the riots.

If you do not know and you know someone, local book or place I could visit to learn more about the riots.

Thanking all PopT

Strix

I intend to get out to Woodhouse and the library as soon as things get better at home.

I'm unaware of library online database, I'll do a search and see what I can find.

Thanks for the advice. PopT

the database isn't that brilliant (which you'd expect having seen the one for photo's ;) ) but at least it gives out information such as titles and authors, as well as where the book is SUPPOSED to be

I'll see if I can find you a link

this may be a better bet though:

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/libraries/archives-and-local-studies/what-collections-do-we-have/newspapers

looks like that date should be covered

I'll have another look in the photo books I have - I usually skip through the mining pics, but I know there are plenty of them (none with the surname you're interested in though - I've done that trawl ;) )

PopT

yes of course i will,can i ask how you came across these riots,ive been researching my family history for last 3 years mainly my direct Reynolds line(chapeltown)and my grans Conyers line(woodhouse) and this subject was news to me,our lasses g g grandad also a miner in woodhouse at the time of this disturbance,anyway thanks for your original post,gives me something else to dig in to the past for.

Archived