Advice needed: can my landlady do this to me?

Has you landlady followed this law with regards to your bond (below). if not, sue her. You might get three times your bond.

From 6th April 2007 The 2004 Housing Act requires that where landlords take a bond for an assured short hold tenancy they must deposit this bond with one of three approved organisations, these organisations have been awarded contracts by the Government. Details are as follows

Computershare Investor Services Plc will run the single custodial deposit scheme, with the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators providing the Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) Service. (Free service to landlords and is financed by the interest from the money deposited)

The Dispute Service Limited will run an insured scheme directed primarily at letting agents. It will also run the scheme's ADR. (Fee payable)

Tenancy Deposit Solutions, a consortium of the National Landlords Association and Hamilton Fraser Insurance Services Plc will administer an insured scheme, directed primarily at landlords. The Chartered Institute of Arbitrators will provide the ADR service. (Fee payable)

A landlord will not be able to take a deposit in respect of an assured short-hold tenancy unless it is to be covered by a TDS (Tenancy Deposit Scheme)

A landlord will have to:

Deal with a deposit in accordance with an authorised scheme,

Comply with the initial requirements of a scheme within 14 days,

Give the tenant the appropriate information relating to the deposit within 14 days of receiving the deposit.

The landlord decides which scheme he wishes to use.

The schemes themselves need to advertise widely and raise their profile to ensure landlords are aware of them.

The landlord has 14 days to notify the tenant of which scheme he is using if he fails to do this the tenant can apply directly for a court order for the landlord to repay the deposit to that person or pay it into a custodial scheme. If the landlord fails comply by the date of the court hearing the court MUST make the order as requested and order the landlord to pay the applicant an amount equivalent to THREE TIMES the deposit within 10 days.

No, it's a lady who lives in Dore, lives off her husband and has never worked a day in her life. Her attitude and how she was shouting at me stinks. I hope one day her husband treats her the way she has me!

He probably already does treat her this way & she's taking it out on you cus she sees you as an easy target.

Don't let this bich bully you - patio steps idea sounds good to me :thumbsup:

Damn right its illegal im not all that up on it so everything i say here may have to be confirmed but i have had experience with the gas side of it...so your already a winner as she has totaly broken the law where thats concerned... Now its my understanding that the landlord has to give at least 24 hrs notice before comming to the house, i believe it is against the law for them to enter these days without ur knowledge as when u take on the rent payments the house is then treated as yours until u vacate... As for the gas fire, by law the gas has to be checked once a year or the landlord faces a hefty fine or imprisonment, so if you have reported an issue to her and she has done nothing about it then all you need to do here is threaten to report her.... My old landlord was selling up after us renting for 6 yrs, during that time the fire was not checked once by the landlord, my OH is a gas fitter so it was always checked by him, however the fact that my landlord did not know this and still allowed my family and I to live in it angered me, but it was a biggy and i was saving it for the day i would need it, i knew i would as the bloke who represented the landlord (his bro) was a big hefty bouncer who dealt with everyday issues by bullying people, and so when he started bullying me at the end of the tenancy, i mentioned where he had gone very very wrong, and who i was thinking about phoning, no bother after that. Good luck with it, the problem with some landlords is that they want the dollar, but they dont want the hassle off the person paying, and so will try anything, they think they are something, when infact alot of them are law breaking idiots, who have no idea how much bother they can be in, for essentially doing a crap job... Best of luck with... Soz if this makes no sense, i ant pre read it x x

A landlord does not have to give notice that they need to attend your home. However, if the cold call it is at the tenants discretion whether to let them in, especially if they have no ID.

In cases where the landlord has given 3 days written notice to conduct repairs a tenant should not appose access without offering an alternaitve appointment time. In these cases the landlord has the write to approach the courts to gain access to the property so that they may conduct urgent repairs.

When I lived in a bedsit (part of a larger house) in London, the landlord had keys and access to my home as and when he saw fit and this didn't sit happily with me.

So I fitted on of those security chains.....with a lock.....you can get them from Wilkinson's for about £5.

That way at night you can put the safety chain on.....but you can also put it on when you are away from your home.

Perhaps you could get one of these for your next place then at least you will know that people won't be able to gain access when you are not there. :)

A landlord does not have to give notice that they need to attend your home. However, if the cold call it is at the tenants discretion whether to let them in, especially if they have no ID.

In cases where the landlord has given 3 days written notice to conduct repairs a tenant should not appose access without offering an alternaitve appointment time. In these cases the landlord has the write to approach the courts to gain access to the property so that they may conduct urgent repairs.

I disagree with you on this, but only because @ the time my landlord was playing "im the boss" with me I went to seek advise and was given this info, having said that we used to rent a flat on derbyshire lane about 12 yrs ago and that landlord did used to pop in when ever he wanted, but i was young then and just allowed it to happen... If i was renting privatly now I would explain to the landlord that while ever I am paying the rent, the house is essentially mine to live in comfotably and in privacy, and that i would be requiring 24 hrs notice before each visit as i had been advised, if he was to start being an utter twerp, i would do the next bezzie thing and not pay my rent for months and months until he has paid all the court fees etc, just because I have that greater power... But im not one to be ruled so maybe thats just me.

When you first move into the property im sure the landlord has to leave the tenant a gas safety certificate and the gas has to be checked each year and the certificate re-issued if this has not happened then it is illeagal and i would contact sombody about it. This happened with my mum and our previous landlord good luck in your new home!

wrong, wrong, wrong!!!

In fact, WRONG-ER than Wrong... It could not be wronger if it were Lord Wrong, who had been appointed Professor of Wrong at Wrong University.

Unless it's an emergency, (Gas leak, Fire, Flood etc) your Landlord has NO right of access to your home without notice, which must be at least 24hrs notice.

This law is in place to prevent intimidation and harassment of tenants.

Yes you are obliged to allow the landlord reasonable access, (With notice!) to carry out repairs etc, but the landlord has no right of entry otherwise.

A tenant has the right to quiet enjoyment of the rented property, landlords entering without prior notification are breaking the law. Even calling round can be construed as harrassment, PT above is correct.

I would second the advice to get dated photos the day you move out, gather as much evidence as possible because if she tried to retain your bond you can appeal this with the DPS.

I haven't got the time or money to set up a camera, and I wish I could take days off to make sure she doesn't come in, but I am temping therefore won't get paid time off.

Also a friend told me I should report her to the police for threatening behaviour as this will go onto the houses file and when they come to sell, it will show up. I don't really have the time or energy to do this though.

I'm not doing anythng today. I coul sit on my couch and read a book - or sit in my car and read a book. I'll stake your place out!!! :cool:

The landlord has to give you at least 24 hours notice. Here is what the office of fair trading has to say about it:-

The office of fair trading document oft356 :

3.32 We would object to a provision giving the landlord an excessive right to enter the rented property. Under any kind of lease or tenancy, a landlord is required by common law to allow his tenants ‘exclusive possession’ and ‘quiet enjoyment’ of the premises during the tenancy. In other words, tenants must be free from unwarranted intrusion by anyone, including the landlord. Landlords are unfairly disregarding that basic obligation if they reserve a right to enter the property without giving reasonable notice or getting the tenant’s consent, except for good reason.