Riot police at Sheffield Park Academy.

Racism in Britain goes back much further than the BNP (not even the latest in a line of dozens of British far-right groups) or your beloved Enoch Powell. Britain has a long history of racism, a nasty streak which has been passed down from parent to child, from narcissistic leader to sheeplike follower and from bonehead in a pub to bonehead in a pub and which has waxed and waned, sometimes regardless of the level of immigration or the size of the ethnic minority (the BNP had a breakthrough in the early 1990's which proved short-lived). You can froth vaguely about "people like me" having "forced" people "to accept multiculturalism" for as long as you want but you won't make me believe that "people like me" were somehow responsible for a kid on a bus passing through part of Bradford in the early 1990's loudly asking his dad if this was "where the Pakis lived".

Oh Fingers! How misinformed you are - A misinformed as The Daily Mail infact... We Brits don't have this "nasty streak which has been passed down from parent to child", and our 'history of racism' is no longer than any other nation, and shorter than a great many! I pity short sighted ways like yours, and your friend Storm, with whom you share a great deal in common! Both of you are fools generalising about race, nationality and pride... I am English, I am proud to be English, I don't have to vote for the BNP, or panda to anyone who throws the race card everytime life doesn't go their way... I think you'll find I am probably the majority... PC attitudes that pretend that Muslims are offended about native Brits celebrating Christmas (or Lent, as many are now) are misguided... Those who believe that it's ok for kids to kick one another heads in due to race, or parade around a residential area in a overtly aggressive manner, again these people are misguided too...

The childrens safety should be paramount and not subject to any intimidation by large groups of people.

School areas (as work areas) should be free of hazards with the right to make any notice of danger to the management or authorities and stay away until the hazard has been rectified.

Anyone creating a danger or being seen as being potentially intimidating is liable for prosecution.

Where are the race relations people now? The school needs help but the schools attitudes reinforces the ;divide and rule principle which has kept, kept people down for ever. Nobody cares that every parent of a child at the Academy dread sending them there. Every teacher must dread working there and every child that goes there deserves so much more. And to be let down again rings familiar with their parents and grandparents of all concernd.

Oh Fingers! How misinformed you are - A misinformed as The Daily Mail infact... We Brits don't have this "nasty streak which has been passed down from parent to child", and our 'history of racism' is no longer than any other nation, and shorter than a great many! I pity short sighted ways like yours, and your friend Storm, with whom you share a great deal in common! Both of you are fools generalising about race, nationality and pride... I am English, I am proud to be English, I don't have to vote for the BNP, or panda to anyone who throws the race card everytime life doesn't go their way... I think you'll find I am probably the majority... PC attitudes that pretend that Muslims are offended about native Brits celebrating Christmas (or Lent, as many are now) are misguided... Those who believe that it's ok for kids to kick one another heads in due to race, or parade around a residential area in a overtly aggressive manner, again these people are misguided too...

Did I say that every person in Britain is racist? I didn't. I talked about a history of racism and described it as a nasty streak. Many British people are not part of that racist streak but that streak has run through various political parties (some major, some small and short-lived such as the British Brothers League), through parts of the upper class (such as those who made fortunes from the slave trade), the so-called middle class and the working class and through certain parts of the country (such as the east end of London which has been fertile ground for the far right). That streak can be seen in the white flight from some inner-city areas in the post-WWII era, the difficulty police forces have had in dealing with racists in their ranks and the old-fashioned entertainment culture that was the mainstream until the 1980's.

I would say that there is less racism in Britain today than there was two or three or four decades ago but the far right is more politically significant than it was because the leadership of the Conservative Party has tried to stop relying on those voters who were particularly keen on the likes of Enoch Powell and Norman Tebbit. However, what we have started to see more in recent decades is some members of the ethnic minorities adopting an "if you can't join 'em beat 'em" attitude and becoming as bad as or, in a few cases, even worse than white racists. It is a stupid and immoral thing to do but this development was predictable and it wasn't caused by multiculturalism: it was caused by racists.

While I'm at it I am sure racism goes unchecked at the Academy and swearing also. Before any middleclass wannabe starts blaming parents for not teaching manors to their children WHY*DOESN'T*THE*SCHOOL*PUNISH*THE PERPETRATERS? When kids see its a free for all why not join in? I would. Unfortunately the only answer is to shut the school so the kids can move on to a place with a modest amount of discipline, Where they don't have to suffer the fear of being attacked racially or otherwise.

Archived