Slag heaps Cricket Inn Rd/Woodbourn Rd/Manor Lane junction?

Joe9T

You can actually still see som of the original parts of the slag heaps, part of the banking on Parkway drive just after the Yellow storage building is an small transformer that was there when the slag heap stood, and also as you come down Manor Lane by the council depot there are some old units, just behind then is the old route of the Manor Lane and remains of the heap slope down to the road there.

It was levelled in about 1971/72 to make way for the Parkway.

Before that the Parkway ended at what is now the Manor Park turn off. At the end of here at its junction with Manor Lane was a track [roughly heading don to where Makro is now], this skirted the slag heap and lead to a farm where I believe a milkman lived there were also just under the heap towards Littledale, a quarry [full of fossils] and I remember two ponds full of tadpoles.On the slag heap were a couple of brick tunnels which we never dared go down. A great place to play when you were a kid, but you always had to watch out for the 'Bad lads 'from the Wybourn getting you!!!!

A great place to play when you were a kid, but you always had to watch out for the 'Bad lads 'from the Wybourn getting you!!!!

Hi ya Mickyboy.

I don’t know how old you are, but can you remember the Wybourn - Woodbourn wars? They would be late 50s – early 60s.

Hi ya Mickyboy.

I don’t know how old you are, but can you remember the Wybourn - Woodbourn wars? They would be late 50s – early 60s.

Hi coyleys,

I'm actually from the Manor, we used to walk to the ponds and quarry down the fields that are now the Parkway, I think It may have been just two lanes

then.

The reason I mentioned Wybourn lads is that they always seemed to be chasing us, luckily we were faster.

As we got older a group of us used to take air guns and pistols into the quarry and have mock battles, strangley enough we never got bothered by anyone then.

:)

Hello Joe9T. In this photo, the two pit heaps are in the top right hand corner and there appears to be another at the bottom side of Woodbourn Road. If it is another heap, could this be where you remember driving through them?

http://www.picturesheffield.co.uk/cgi-bin/zoom.pl?picture=http://www.picturesheffield.com/jpgh/s12380.jpg

Hi cat631,

Ta for the photo, but could you identify the roads on the pic, so, i know where i am.

Hi cat631,

Ta for the photo, but could you identify the roads on the pic, so, i know where i am.

The road starting in the bottom RH corner is Lumly Street, it dog legs to the left and becomes Worthing Road. Before Worthing Road disappears off the top of the photo, there are two buildings to its right sat in clear rectangles, these are Woodbourn Road Schools. The road going to the right of the schools towards the pit heaps is Woodbourn Road.

The Road on the left hand side is Attercliffe Common

At the junction with the river top left is Washford bridge the terraced houses to the right by the side of the river are those that were called Don Terrace on the passage by Goldseal Windows (in the old Washford Pub), cross Effingham Road and it goes up to Bacon Lane.

The Don and canal curve bottom right to top left round through the middle of the picture

The large chimney in the middle of the picture are the old Lumley Street Cleasing Dept ovens backing on to the canal.

The bridge over the Don is a railway that took spoil over Effingham Road to a tip between the Don and Attercliffe Common I believe from Nunnery you can still see the stone supports in the wall on Effingham Road.

The remains of this second heap can be seen on the 5 weirs walk between Norfolk Bridge and Washford Bridge I think that there is a small nature reserve there now plus the stone plaque fom the Old School [Mechanics Institute] that was just off Attercliffe Common [left hand halfway up the map] this stone plaque shows evidence of bomb damage. Top right are the old railway sidings which started where the Supertram depot is now.

I'm only young but I know most hills with plateaus used to be slagheaps, either from mining or steelworks. Given Sheffields industrial past the legacy of contaminated ground will haunt Sheffield forever. High levels of arsenic and lead has poisoned the ground all around wybourn/manor park and a great amount of over areas in Sheffield. Contact the council to find out if it is safe to eat produce from your garden. Rain brings these pollutants to the surface.

Archived