Fancy joining an amateur drama group in Sheffield?

Sog73

• 1 month later...

babybat

If you are still interested in joining a theatre group, I can confirm that the 53 group is still alive and well and meeting every tuesday and thursday night. We are putting our new production on at the Library Theatre in November and if you are interested in coming along to see what we get up to, you are more than welcome to join us for the next full rehearsal on Thursday night.

We meet at 7.30 p.m. at the Lion Works at Shalesmoor, its just round the corner from the Milestone pub. you can get there on the tram or there is parking available if you prefer to drive

if you fancy trying your hand at acting or some of the backstage jobs such as props and lighting, let me know and I can introduce you to the chaps

• 4 weeks later...

CAPA is well into its first term - with students enjoying themselves with regular classes led by Director Ruth Carney and visiting artists such as Bruce Guthrie (Associate Director All My Sons, West End) and Sheffield Born Actor Ian Reddington.

CAPA is now booking for the Spring Term 2010 - if you want more information please view the website http://www.carneyacademy.co.uk or email us at info@carneyacademy.co.uk

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Everyone!

Just posting this on here as im trying to reach as many people as possible who are interested in acting.

I am the producer of a student film being made in January.

We are looking for one male actor and will be holding auditions before christmas.

If you would like to get involved or know somebody who can act please contact me ASAP.

I look forward to hearing from you :)

Thanks, Kirsty.

• 4 months later...
Sheffield amateur drama group is looking for interested and enthusiastic new members to be involved in all aspects of putting on a play.

We rehearse in Norton/Woodseats area.

We usually put on 2 plays a year - comedy, drama, farces - not musicals.

We are a friendly and informal group and no experience is necessary.

If you've always fancied it but never quite got round to it, then why not come along and see what we do and see if it's for you.

Hi there

I'm looking for an amateur drama group to join - i see the above post was posted in 2009 - just wondering whether this group is still going strong and if new members welcome?

Many thanks

Rachel

• 2 months later...

Check out the 53 Theatre Group website for details of the group and the forthcoming productions.

We are taking part in the One Act Play Festival at the library theatre in June and if you are interested in coming along to see the guys in action, you would be more than welcome. Our enty is a cracker, very funny!!

There are 10 plays being performed over 4 days and there are a lot of groups taking part. If you want to make contacts and find out more about what theh groups and where they do it, this is a great place to start.

• 7 months later...

You might be interested in this:

Audition call for Aeschylus’s Prometheus Bound

“Fire. Steel. A foundry manufacturing the future. An ancient god in chains. But which force is the most powerful – revenge, or hope? Grab a torch. Dare to join the Promethean revolution.”

A new production of the play Prometheus Bound is coming to Sheffield in Summer 2012 as part of the inaugural Sheffield Festival of Ancient Drama.

Synopsis of the play

Prometheus stole fire from the Olympian gods and gave its benefits to mortals: heat, light, technology, furnaces, manufacturing, steam. Savagely punished for his ingenuity, riveted to an iron crag above the city, he continues to defy the arbitrary power exercised by these cruel new rulers. When he encounters Io, another victim of the Olympian regime, Prometheus traces her wild journey across the world, and discovers that she could provide the weapon to bring down final disaster – or the last chance to redeem a fallen world…

Helen Slaney, Director of Prometheus Bound, explains more about the production: ‘Unfolding in a surreal complex of skeletal girders and gnashing cogs, Prometheus uses elements of Steampunk to weld together two powerful myths: the timeless Ancient Greek legend of power corroded, and the modern myth of inexhaustible energy that drove the Industrial Revolution.’

‘Its backdrop is the city of Sheffield: the dramatic skyline behind the theatre itself and the history of industry that has defined it. Written and designed specifically for this venue, Prometheus pours tragedy and spectacle into an unforgettable mould. For one night only, take up a torch and dare to join the Promethean revolution.’

Audition dates: 18 and 25 February 2012.

Venue: The Leadmill, 6-7 Leadmill Rd, Sheffield.

Production date: 23 June 2012.

Production venue: in the South Streetoutdoor theatre, Sheffield.

Roles

Prometheus (m): the Titan who dared to defy divine tyranny and bring fire to mortals.

Zeus (m): ruler of Olympus; a brutal factory-owner.

Io (f):a young woman abused and abandoned by Zeus.

Oceanus (m): Prometheus’ friend; a zany inventor.

Vulcan (m): a master-craftsman.

Strength (m): a sadistic henchman.

Mercury (m/f): Zeus’ sycophantic P.A.

Argus (m/f):the factory foreman, and leader of the Chorus.

Chorus (m/f):a group of 20 factory workers.

Also calling for production personnel: Assistant Director; Production Manager/Stage Manager; Choreographer.

Audition requirements

Auditions on Saturday 18 February will be individual 10-minute slots. We will send you a selection of extracts from the play. Please choose and prepare ONE of these extracts (you don’t need to learn it, but please be familiar with the text). Those interested in auditioning for the chorus will also be asked to attend a movement workshop on Saturday 25. We may also be holding call-backs for other roles on that day. If you cannot attend either of these Saturdays but would still like to audition, please contact us and we will do our best to arrange an alternative.

Expressions of interest should be sent to: sheffest1@gmail.com

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Our age range is 19 - 72 currently but we're mostly 20s and 30s. Small friendly group. We're currently reading plays, trying to decide what to do for our next play, which will be in July at the University Drama Studio. So, it would be a good time to come along. Let me know if you want any more info. Sarah

Archived