Could it become illegal to criticise religion, and Islam in particular?

Zamo,

Compare the hoops American politicians have to jump through to convince voters that they are among the faithful religious with the distance British politicians are generally inclined to try to maintain from faith positions.

This is 100% correct. As a resident of the Southern US, I can tell you (and have mentioned it on a previous post somewhere) that a politician would have a tough time getting elected if he/she were openly atheistic. Religion has a stranglehold on our political system and can have a strong bearing on many other aspects of our lives as well.

For example, when my ex and I split, he threatened to take me to court for full custody of our kids. He emphasized that he takes them to church and I do not. This sort of thing could have an effect on the outcome of custody issues in our court system, when really, it has no place there.

This is 100% correct. As a resident of the Southern US, I can tell you (and have mentioned it on a previous post somewhere) that a politician would have a tough time getting elected if he/she were openly atheistic. Religion has a stranglehold on our political system and can have a strong bearing on many other aspects of our lives as well.

For example, when my ex and I split, he threatened to take me to court for full custody of our kids. He emphasized that he takes them to church and I do not. This sort of thing could have an effect on the outcome of custody issues in our court system, when really, it has no place there.

Well said, though I think it would be a lot more than a 'tough time' for an atheist to get elected in America, probably impossible right now, let alone a Muslim.

That's an awful state of affairs CottonTop.

Any fascist, intolerant, oppressive movement could dress itself up as a religion and seek exemption from criticism in order to grow unchallenged... just like Islam! :D:P

Yes, just like the Taleban regime. A load of bullying bullsh... dressed up as being Islamic.

It won't happen and even if the UN did pass it Western Countries wouldn't ratify it.

Even if they did it would conflict with the UN International Human Right to freedom of expression such that its impact could only be marginal at best.

Maybe, maybe not. But even if you're right, it's just another religious 'wedge' strategy. This was accepted as a non-binding resolution, now it's presented as a binding one, what's the next step? There's a clear direction of travel here.

Perhaps you were taking the mick and i missed it, but do you know that Obama is widely thought to be a closet atheist and his family roots are partly Muslim?

Not taking the mick.....I can guarantee that if Obama had told the country he was an atheist, he would never have gotten the office, much less the nomination. Religion still has deep roots here (though thankfully that is changing) and it would be inconceivable, especially here in the south, for anyone to even consider a candidate that didn't believe in a higher being. Crazy, I know but that is how it is.

Archived