Could it become illegal to criticise religion, and Islam in particular?

The UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Article 19.

• Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.

By admitting a limitation to freedom of speech in the form of slander, you are admitting there is a line to be drawn and that freedom of speech is not absolute.

Freedom to slander and spread lies is a right also. Of course by doing that you are leaving yourself open to a possible lawsuit which is the right of the person slandered. Let justice be done in court

As far as religion is concerned it is my right to criticise any religion for whatever reason I find necessary be it because of paedophile priests or demented clerics who encourage holy wars and suicide bombings

It's a normal reaction when because of the misbehavior of people who represent these religions that the religion as a whole comes under scrutiny.

It may not be fair but that's the way it generally is

There's no such thing as a sacred cow. Not in my books anyway

Freedom to slander and spread lies is a right also. Of course by doing that you are leaving yourself open to a possible lawsuit which is the right of the person slandered. Let justice be done in court

As far as religion is concerned it is my right to criticise any religion for whatever reason I find necessary be it because of paedophile priests or demented clerics who encourage holy wars and suicide bombings

It's a normal reaction when because of the misbehavior of people who represent these religions that the religion as a whole comes under scrutiny.

It may not be fair but that's the way it generally is

There's no such thing as a sacred cow. Not in my books anyway

Some people attack or belittle others for their physical appearance, would you do the same with Stephen Hawking or his wife for being a Christian and more to the point should it be allowed.

Some people attack or belittle others for their physical appearance, would you do the same with Stephen Hawking or his wife for being a Christian and more to the point should it be allowed.

No I would not attack anyone for their physical appearance and in fact when I see such people I always say how lucky I am to have been spared that misfortune. There are cruel people though who would but if it was verbal cruelty only then that is their choice. They only demean and lower themselves by doing it anyway.

As far as the christian couple you mention they had the right to make the decision they did. Freedom of choice and freedom of speech.

Once these two rights are curtailed then the book burnings start afterwards.

It's all happened before

Religious stance is a form of opinion, it's a choice.

Religious stance is a form of opinion, it's a choice.

So, just asking :) you obviously have got an opinion and made a choice about religion, so how would you feel if someone started belittling and harassing you because your opinion differed from theirs and what would you do about it?

Archived