Could it become illegal to criticise religion, and Islam in particular?

So, just asking :) you obviously have got an opinion and made a choice about religion, so how would you feel if someone started belittling and harassing you because your opinion differed from theirs and what would you do about it?

I'd object to their manner, perhaps, but not their right to disagree in principle. I certainly wouldn't ban them from having that opinion. You think you have the right to make obnoxious statements about things like rape, homosexuality, child abuse and murder. You think your views should be protected from any dissent. Why should they be?

You think mocking religion is wrong, but mocking atheists is fine. That makes you a hypocrite. By the way, I think it's fine for you to mock atheists if that's what you want to do.

Unlike you, Grahame, I can see the bigger picture beyond myself. Just because I don't like something doesn't necessarily mean I would want it banned. I know it's a two way street. Religion should have no special rights beyond the basic ones that apply to everyone equally.

If you want the right to hold your opinion, you have to accept that others have the right to disagree with you. Why is that so hard to accept?

I don't know, I never saw it, hence the question mark. :)

It's an awesome film, not to disrespectful, as long as you accept that Brian is not meant to be Jesus. That is the central joke upon which the film is built upon.

I'd object to their manner, perhaps, but not their right to disagree in principle. I certainly wouldn't ban them from having that opinion. You think you have the right to make obnoxious statements about things like rape, homosexuality, child abuse and murder. You think your views should be protected from any dissent. Why should they be?

You think mocking religion is wrong, but mocking atheists is fine. That makes you a hypocrite. By the way, I think it's fine for you to mock atheists if that's what you want to do.

Unlike you, Grahame, I can see the bigger picture beyond myself. Just because I don't like something doesn't necessarily mean I would want it banned. I know it's a two way street. Religion should have no special rights beyond the basic ones that apply to everyone equally.

If you want the right to hold your opinion, you have to accept that others have the right to disagree with you. Why is that so hard to accept?

If you notice I generally give my reasons, while other people generally don't or can't. I don't have a problem with an informed discussion, just with people who for example start abusing supporters of an opposing football team for no good reason.

If you notice I generally give my reasons, while other people generally don't or can't. I don't have a problem with an informed discussion, just with people who for example start abusing supporters of an opposing football team for no good reason.

Yet you do the same. "Atheists are scum" comes to mind.

btw, the point about Life of Brian is that Brian is not Jesus, he was just a bloke (or "a very naughty boy") in the wrong place at the wrong time, his life running in parallel to Jesus. The main basis of the film was the need for (some) people to have something or someone to follow, and they worshipped him.

I don't know for certain why Christians who were against the film came to their view. Some (eg Malcolm Muggeridge IIRC) claimed the film was depicting Jesus in a blasphemous way. However, as this clearly wasn't the case, they were incorrect. Another possibility was that it brought into focus their own beliefs and the basis for them, and made Christians look foolish.

btw, the point about Life of Brian is that Brian is not Jesus, he was just a bloke (or "a very naughty boy") in the wrong place at the wrong time, his life running in parallel to Jesus. The main basis of the film was the need for (some) people to have something or someone to follow, and they worshipped him.

I don't know for certain why Christians who were against the film came to their view. Some (eg Malcolm Muggeridge IIRC) claimed the film was depicting Jesus in a blasphemous way. However, as this clearly wasn't the case, they were incorrect. Another possibility was that it brought into focus their own beliefs and the basis for them, and made Christians look foolish.

The only way you can attempt to make Christianity look foolish is to do what Obama did in that you-tube. He obviously did not have a clue what he was talking about and with the evidence in front of me like that I feel justified in saying his obvious intolerance of Christianity is due to his ignorance.

What makes it worse is that along with Oprah Winfry (spelling) he has been actively involved with this New Age cult.

The only way you can attempt to make Christianity look foolish is to do what Obama did in that you-tube. He obviously did not have a clue what he was talking about and with the evidence in front of me like that I feel justified in saying his obvious intolerance of Christianity is due to his ignorance.

What makes it worse is that along with Oprah Winfry (spelling) he has been actively involved with this New Age cult.

Please note. I never said "make Christianity look foolish".

Please note. I never said "make Christianity look foolish".

You said "made Christians look foolish"

Why are you talking about Obama and Oprah Winfrey? What New Age Cult? :huh:

I've read in one of Obama's own books laying out what his personal view of Christianity is. Like him or not in other ways, the one thing you can't accuse him of being is intolerant. Without even knowing what you're referring to I can see you're playing Twister again.

Perhaps you'd like to comment on Johann Hari's sane and sensible article linked to above? What do you see wrong with it?

Archived