9/11 or 911 it never occured to me

Geoff

It's we Brits who are awkward when it comes to date formats. The international format is ccyymmdd and is being increasingly adopted as the standard because computers can sort it more easily.

Yawn, boring, blah, blah ....

Originally posted by Hodge

It wasn't intended as a joke, and has offended, for which I apologise sincerely :(

I'm not sure what I meant to be honest - I suppose I was just wondering why we have adopted a different numerical date format (as opposed to saying 11/9). On reflection, it was incredibly flippant, I shouldn't have posted it, and have inadvertently dug a hole from which I probably can't get out.

Once again, I did not intend to offend, but the damage is done. My sincere apologies.

Ah lighten up Hodge, not a problem, we all upset folk on different occations on here, no doubt some would find your comment amusing to.

not strictly related but.....

911 is also the american emergency services number. Ours is obviously 999. In Europe it's 112. If you ring 112 here you still get connected to the emergency services. BUT, if you dial 911 you don't. I would've thought 911 was better known than 112 due to the all pervading Yank culture - yet 911 is not accepted. Weird non?

Archived