Lapatnicks and Patnicks in Sheffield from 1890

My Mum and Dad were friends with Rose and Harry Livingstone, who lived on Manchester Road. Their Daughter, Hazel married Philip Patnick, at Wilson Road. I went to the wedding, the wonderful reception was held at the City Hall. A real highlight in my young life.My Mum and Dad were Alice and Clem Stokes, and they lived in Loxley.They were both hairdressers, and were friends with Rose and Harry Hayman, and their Daughter, who married Bazil Ronson. Heady wonderful days, wish I could turn back the clock.

• 1 year later...
On 01/03/2009 at 22:24, lennylap said:

My great-grandfather, Nathan (Nochum) Lapatnick, left Lithuania in 1890 to avoid his elder son, Hyman (Khayim), being conscripted into the Russan army. Hyman was 20 years old at the time. Besides Hyman, Harry (age 15) was Nathan's only surviving child. The three Lapatnicks arrived in Sheffield soon after escaping Lithuania, and Nathan became a teacher in the Jewish community there. I must cut this story short now, but will try to continue in a few days.

You must be confused. Hetty Patnick is my grandmother and the name was Patnick not Lapatnick. She married David Lapp.

Have you mixed the names together somehow because I have never ever heard of Lapatnicks, just the Lapps and Patnicks and they were seperate lines joined by marriage.

On 13/03/2009 at 13:46, hillsbro said:

The 1901 census includes a Nathan Lapatnick, age 67, wife Rachel, 55, children Nathan, 18 and Minnie, 15, all living at 37 Solly Street, Sheffield.

A Google search brought up a page from the "Nationality and Naturalisation" part of the National Archives website which mentions a Hyman Michael Lapatnick, from Russia and resident in Sheffield, who was granted Certificate No 16638 on 26 February 1907.

Another Google result was a JPEG scan of the "Children's Newspaper" of 13 September 1923 which included this short piece: "Old Nathan: It is said that a Russian Jew in Sheffield, Nathan Lapatnick, is the oldest man in the country. He gets up at seven, goes to bed at six and has two meals a day". Curiously, the newspaper doesn't give his age, but according to G.R.O. records a Nathan Lapatnick died aged 110 in Sheffield in the last quarter of 1924. It is likely to be the same Nathan Lapatnick who was recorded in the 1901 census as being 67 years old. Maybe old Nathan didn't know how old he was, or or was "economical with the truth" about his real age in 1901, and/or perhaps whoever registered his death didn't know his actual age.

There was no Lapatnick. It was the Lapps and Patnicks. https://british-jewry.org.uk/leedsjewry/surnames-all.php?tree=1

Here you find records of the Lapps and Patnicks. All the names the OP stated are there as Patnick. 

I don't think you can view unless registered with an account

On 18/03/2009 at 13:01, hillsbro said:

That's what I was wondering. The 1911 census includes eight Lapatnicks living in Sheffield, but of those who were old enough to have been included in the 1901 census, none correlates exactly with any of the four Lapatnicks recorded then, or any of the four "Patricks" recorded in 1901. The 1911 Lapatnicks are, with their ages:

Hyman M., 41, Sarah, 41, Aaron, 15, Ada, 13, Dora, 10, Leah, 8, Minnie, 5, Abraham, 2

It's not Patrick. It's Patnick 🙂

On 18/03/2009 at 09:37, Tooeg said:

So

Is it all the same family and Aaron dropped The La prefix.

We need Lennylap back on the forum to move on a bit.

I assume one of the brothers moved to the colonies, before the La was dropped.

Maybe went to find fortune in the new world.

One of Hetty Patnicks grandsons went to America, but that was in the 70s maybe? That's the only person I think it could be? I'm going to try to find out. 

On 10/10/2018 at 21:46, laurie_lo said:

Is anyone still on this forum from this post??? Lennylap is that you Gary?? I am interested in this topic. I am a relation of the family and my surname is Lapp.

That's who I think it is too. And you are my sister 😂

On 08/11/2019 at 13:23, laurie_lo said:

This thread is very, very old. However, Nathan Lapatnick is my great, great, great grandfather. Incidentally, my surname is Lapp. Although the 'La' was dropped and Patnick was adopted as a means of sounding more English, my Grandma who was a Patnick married into the Lapp family. Myself and my nephew are very interested to learn more surrounding our extended family. I shall read the links provided on this thread!

They e got it wrong. There was no Lapatnick. It is two different lines. Lapps and Patnicks. 

https://british-jewry.org.uk/leedsjewry/surnames-all.php?tree=1

There are Lapps and Patnicks but no Lapatnick.

Under the Patnick name you can see all of their names.

37 minutes ago, retep said:

Naturalisation form says, Hyman Michael Lapatnick, 30 Silver Street Head

I've seen those forms at my dad's. They said Patnick. That Jewish database says Patnick also. There was no La. 

On 11/11/2019 at 20:13, FIRETHORN1 said:

I recall a Patnick's second-hand clothing stall in the old Rag Market when I was a little kid in the '60's. I also recall that one of the Patnick men was involved in Sheffield politics and was  a city councillor in my youth - not sure who, but I think it was Irvine Patnick. I also recall that the Patnick family were very well respected in Sheffield in the '60's and 70's. I'm not saying that everyone liked and admired them, but I think a hell of a lot of Sheff people respected the Patnick  family as people who had overcome a lot of prejudice and hardship and had done really well for themselves.

They didn't face prejudice and they arrived in this country wealthier than most. Not all refugees are poor! It's my own family, although we were the 'poor relations'. They have always been very middle class. I don't doubt they worked extremely hard, they did, but they owned a lot of land and property around the Gleadless area which no one will really talk of. All the sons were given a business and all the daughters a house. All sold off. 

Edited by HisOnlyStar

7 minutes ago, retep said:

Oath of Allegiance, signed as Lapatnick , 5 March 1907.

Ok. I'm asking someone if they can show me again. It's years since I saw. My dad had original documents at one time.  I was sure I recall it said Patnick. 🙂 'La' is not very Russian sounding at all. I have always known them to be the Patnicks. My grandma was Hetty.

Edited by HisOnlyStar

6 minutes ago, HisOnlyStar said:

Ok. I'm asking someone if they can show me again. It's years since I saw. My dad had original documents at one time.  I was sure I recall it said Patnick. 🙂 'La' is not very Russian sounding at all. I have always known them to be the Patnicks. My grandma was Hetty.

It is handwritten,  also if you put  *patnick into Findmypast it comes up as Lapatnick and Dora in her school record is down as Lapatnick

1 hour ago, retep said:

It is handwritten,  also if you put  *patnick into Findmypast it comes up as Lapatnick and Dora in her school record is down as Lapatnick

Thank you. I'm not signing up for that site though they take money for nothing. Last time had to get bank to get my subscription back. It's waste of money. I also thought those sites anyone can add anything into them? So someone who thought the name was Lapatnick could have entered it. I still do not believe the name was ever Lapatnick. My dad says 'Who is Dora?" He says it's not familiar, it ever so slightly rings a bell but he's not familiar with anyone called Dora.

On 11/11/2019 at 20:13, FIRETHORN1 said:

I recall a Patnick's second-hand clothing stall in the old Rag Market when I was a little kid in the '60's. I also recall that one of the Patnick men was involved in Sheffield politics and was  a city councillor in my youth - not sure who, but I think it was Irvine Patnick. I also recall that the Patnick family were very well respected in Sheffield in the '60's and 70's. I'm not saying that everyone liked and admired them, but I think a hell of a lot of Sheff people respected the Patnick  family as people who had overcome a lot of prejudice and hardship and had done really well for themselves.

They didn't face prejudice and they arrived in this country wealthier than most. Not all refugees are poor! 

Are you an ancestor of them too? 

The truth is no one really knows where they came from or why it took them years to reach the UK.  (Apparently they left Russia in 1887) They didn't speak any English and they had money, much more than average. The family keeps secrets, hides any info and won't tell the truth. A lot of truth has been lost because family members who knew have passed away. There is zero info on them prior to their arrival in the UK. The British Jewry database (which I believe over UK census and directory's or ancestry sites) says they came from Russia and were called Patnicks. 

The Lapps came from Lithuania supposedly, but some say the originated in the Belarus region. There was no Lapatnick all my life until I heard my sister mentioning this rumour and found this thread. 

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/categories/40/?name=_Lapatnick&name_x=_1

This is not the Sheffield Patnick family. They never lived in Pennsylvania. Wrong records. 

This explains the confusion I think. 

Different people. Different names. Some same first names but not same family.

The only family member to go to USA was Gary. Hetty Patnicks grandson. He went as an adult in the 1970s I think. 

On 18/03/2009 at 13:01, hillsbro said:

That's what I was wondering. The 1911 census includes eight Lapatnicks living in Sheffield, but of those who were old enough to have been included in the 1901 census, none correlates exactly with any of the four Lapatnicks recorded then, or any of the four "Patricks" recorded in 1901. The 1911 Lapatnicks are, with their ages:

Hyman M., 41, Sarah, 41, Aaron, 15, Ada, 13, Dora, 10, Leah, 8, Minnie, 5, Abraham, 2

Because it's not the same family. I'm serious. I am an ancestor of the Sheffield Patnick family and they are not the same people as these Lapatnicks, who were in Pennsylvania for a start in USA.  https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/categories/40/?name=_Lapatnick&name_x=_1

They share a few first names but that's all. They are not the same people. 

The UK census said Patrick, but it was wrong, it was Patnick. My dad's sister spoke of that in the past and as she was the oldest daughter of Hetty Patnick she knew the most about the family history. 

Dora was Hyman's daughter, Hyman Michael is down as born in Janisik in the county of Kowner Guberne and is the son of Nathan and Ada Lapatnick both subjects of Russia.

Hymans family 1907

Aron-11

Ada-9

Dora-7

Lea-5

Mina-1

it does say "and" so presume there was another

2 hours ago, HisOnlyStar said:

... Because it's not the same family. I'm serious. I am an ancestor of the Sheffield Patnick family and they are not the same people ...

I think you mean you are a descendant. Looking again at the 1911 census, there is another Lapatnick family - see copy below of the census page - comprising Nathan Lapatnick, his wife and son. These are presumably ancestors of the OP, "lennylap". But they were evidently related to Hyman M. Lapatnick, as the handwriting matches that on the form headed by Hyman, and this form is signed by Aaron Lapatnick, Hyman’s son. Perhaps he could write English better than the three people on the form. Curious!

Lapatnick.jpg