Wii Fit - good for getting fit?

I've heard some anecdotal evidence - "a friend of a friend knows someone" type stories - about people losing weight by playing on their nintendo wii. There's an american guy who has blogged about losing 9lb in 6 weeks purely by playing for 30 mins a day and making no other lifestyle changes, for example, but do any other SF-ers have any first hand experience, or do you think it's a load of old tosh?

A load of old tosh, me thinks.

Didn't Nintendo recently market their console as being good for the health of the nations couch potato kids before their claim was shot down by academics?

I haven't seen any claims direct from nintendo - in fact they actually refused to endorse a book by the american guy who claimed to lose weight on it, probably because they know they're on dodgy ground. They have to be better than other consoles though - at least you have to actually move around while you're using them...

A load of old tosh, me thinks.

I agree, but it wouldn't really surprise me if it were true. Some of the games are very intense and involve quite a bit of moving about. It wouldn't shock me if the heart rate increase counted as cardio exercise.

I've heard some anecdotal evidence - "a friend of a friend knows someone" type stories - about people losing weight by playing on their nintendo wii. There's an american guy who has blogged about losing 9lb in 6 weeks purely by playing for 30 mins a day and making no other lifestyle changes, for example, but do any other SF-ers have any first hand experience, or do you think it's a load of old tosh?
I doubt that it'll be effective for everyone but certainly it does mean you are doing some light exercise which if you are doing nothing then you will benefit.

Its interesting that Wii fitness is out later this year and according to the blurb it will give you some form of workout

My daughter (aged 5) gets a really good workout when playing on the Wii (particulary games like Wii Sport Tennis) as she gives it her all.

On the other hand, my son (aged 9) has discovered that you can play with the slightest of subtle hand movements.

So I guess it all depends on what you play, and on how you play it.

In comparison, I don't know of any Xbox, Playstation or PC games that require any more than small finger or hand movements, so the Wii has to be better than them.

Naturally, getting outside and having 'proper' play is way better than any console anyway.

Archived