Abbeydale Road Picture House *HELP PLEASE

Hi, I am very interested in the Abbeydale Theatre as I believe it to be an superb example of one of the greatest 'unacclaimed' theatres in the country. I am from Birmingham but the Theatre also holds a special place for my family as it is where my mum and dad met (they are from Sheffield but moved to Birmingham for my dads work)

I am studying architecture and I am completing my dissertation on British theatres, I would dearly like to do a case study on Abbeydale and study the defects it is currently suffering, why it is suffering them and how to remedy them.

I am aware that the main issue of repair is the roof, the Friends of Abbeydale website has been took down from the survers for a few days now so I am unable to get contact details for them.

Does anyone on this forum know the structural defects of the roof or know someone that has perhaps done a survey on the building and can give me a little help? i would like to understand the roof construction and the reasons for it needing to be replaced.

Any information you can provide me with would be fantastic,

Thanks in advance

Judith Jones

I pass it everyday going to work 0- they have recently repainted most of the outside. believe the roof was damaged in the gales we had . could try writing to them their address is Friends of Abbeydale Picture House, 387 Abbeydale Road, Sheffield 8 - Tel 0114 281 1155 if you want to call them

I think Shakespeare on the front panel of the building could do with refreshing but then he would lose his old charm

I pass it everyday going to work 0- they have recently repainted most of the outside. believe the roof was damaged in the gales we had . could try writing to them their address is Friends of Abbeydale Picture House, 387 Abbeydale Road, Sheffield 8 - Tel 0114 281 1155 if you want to call them

I think Shakespeare on the front panel of the building could do with refreshing but then he would lose his old charm

thanks for that, ill give them a call tomorrow, yeah ive read that it was the ballustrade that was damaged in the gales. I believe that the roof is damaged mainly from missing slates and the asphalt deteriorating.

I am hoping for details of a survey i presume that they have commisioned prior to the 'raising the rafters' scheme.

Fingers crossed

Thanks

just been browsing through sheffield Ex Pats bit - look in there - there is a student "Lirael" who is doing a topic on Abbeydale Picture House and asking for people's memories - he/she mentioned the restoration - she is publishing a booklet for this purpose and has an email address on this site "your memories of Abbeydale Picture House" - need to browse down a bit - best of luck

If the roof's got problems they can't be all that bad; the roof's structure is a unique set of metal girders (as opposed to wood for nearly any other building). The slates might have some damage.

I also attended the guided tour last year, what a great visit it was! The building is in a much better nick than you'd account it for.

I agree, a magnificent place - I also did the tour last year and was amazed. I think the tours happen every year on English Heritage weekends.

Try getting in touch with SF member joancrawford - she is one of the friends.

Archived