Abbeydale Road Picture House *HELP PLEASE

If the roof's got problems they can't be all that bad; the roof's structure is a unique set of metal girders (as opposed to wood for nearly any other building). The slates might have some damage.

I also attended the guided tour last year, what a great visit it was! The building is in a much better nick than you'd account it for.

Metal Girders? Did they tell you this on the tour? Not sure what you mean by metal girders, could you possibly explain in a little more detail please. I am aware the building frame is steel, not sure why they would choose metal for the roof structure tho, would have thought it'd be to heavy? The spans of the roof dont seem to require a steel roof tho?

Any ideas

cheers

Metal Girders? Did they tell you this on the tour? Not sure what you mean by metal girders, could you possibly explain in a little more detail please. I am aware the building frame is steel, not sure why they would choose metal for the roof structure tho, would have thought it'd be to heavy? The spans of the roof dont seem to require a steel roof tho?

Any ideas

cheers

Hi Judith, I got your private message but can't PM you back for some reason... so am replying this way instead, hope this is ok.

The website should be back up and running in the next day or so.

The volunteers involved in the day to day running have loads of requests like this so have to say no to offering you any additional help as they just don't have the hours in the day. However, if you PM me again with your email address I will send you the info I gathered when writing the web pages - there is quite a bit on the history I can let you have. I can also send you PDFs about the 'raising the rafters' campaign and am happy to share anything else I know with you if it helps.

I can also put you in touch with a couple of Sheffield Hallam students who I know are doing some research about the picture house.

Best wishes

JC

Any ideas

cheers

The roof is unique; the roof is supported by metal girders with the usual slates above. I was told this on the tour. A lot of the building's features were put in to accommodate smokers. The tower was built for nothing more than housing fans. The architects were jewish which explains the david's stars in the mosaics in the tower. The steel girders (instead of wood) was used as a prevention against fire hazard and to strengthen the structure.

The cinema is also unique as it is one of the first suburban cinemas in the UK, if not Europe, as "picture houses" were built in town and not in the poorer suburbs of the time. The architects also built the Gaumont-cum-Kingdom-cum-Embrace.

The roof is unique; the roof is supported by metal girders with the usual slates above. I was told this on the tour. A lot of the building's features were put in to accommodate smokers. The tower was built for nothing more than housing fans. The architects were jewish which explains the david's stars in the mosaics in the tower. The steel girders (instead of wood) was used as a prevention against fire hazard and to strengthen the structure.

The cinema is also unique as it is one of the first suburban cinemas in the UK, if not Europe, as "picture houses" were built in town and not in the poorer suburbs of the time. The architects also built the Gaumont-cum-Kingdom-cum-Embrace.

Theres some interesting points there, thanks for your input

And don't forget about the Raising the Rafters campaign - it's a fundraiser for the much needed new roof. Details are on the website (http://www.abbeydalepicturehouse.co.uk) and you can sponsor a roof tile for just £1.00 - not bad! Website down for a day or two at the moment but you can also pop in on Saturday mornings now from 10.30 for a couple of hours as we're running coffee mornings, and you can pick up leaflets to sponsor tiles or become a friend. A cup of tea or coffee and a slice of homemade cake... nice !

Archived