Can anyone help with researching a family tree? Having difficulty.

Without giving names or even a clue, no one can help you if you are in trouble with your research.

All family researchers have problems and have to ask for help or guidance.

I've found that most forummers will help but without giving anything for them to work on it just boils down to having a general moan on here.

Let's be having something to work with and I for one will help you.

PopT

I cant resist your offer of help.(thanks)I have tried for years to find my grandfathers birth certificate.As its such a rare name I thought it would be easy,but although I have his 2 marriage certificates and his death certificate,I cant find his birth.I spent months going through every birth,marriage and death at Sheffield archives.We seem to originate from Chesterfield and most are now in Nottingham but I cant find the link although they must be one.Family legend says that his father was a serving soldier killed by the IRA(or their equivalent) in around 1867 and he returned to Sheffield as a baby with his mother who later remarried.I know some records were burnt in Ireland (Sackville Street?).His name was John William Baskill and he is buried in Burngreave cemetery.Thanks for any help.

What was his father's name and occupation from the marriage certificate.

Is he the JW at 8 Cooper Place in 1901 with a daughter Clara aged 7.

Was his first marriage to Edith England in the Bradford registration district and Edith died aged 24 in 1897.

Taken from census and BMD

Tuppie

It can be so frustrating not to find someone in the census, but there are so many possible reasons. Some just weren't included at all, deliberately or accidentally. Some names or other details were not entered correctly, esp spellings. Ages were frequently wrong, some people had no idea of their birth details, neither when nor where. In my own grandfather's family every male was known by a name different to that on his birth cert, eg Fred known as Stan, Harold as John. My mum could not tell me why this happened.

I have full access to Ancestry and like others on here, am happy to try and find a missing person (no charge of course)

The 1911 census can be very expensive but there are sneaky ways of getting a lot more from it than just a name, without paying a penny.

What was his father's name and occupation from the marriage certificate.

Is he the JW at 8 Cooper Place in 1901 with a daughter Clara aged 7.

Was his first marriage to Edith England in the Bradford registration district and Edith died aged 24 in 1897.

Taken from census and BMD

Tuppie

You are correct .I have those certificates and Clara,s marriage,but then I lost her and couldnt find,my grandfathers birth or the link to the Nottingham and Chesterfield branches.Thanks for your help

Minimo

Thanks for help with the family history, I now have some good details to work on.

It is amazing to me how we can help each other on this forum, we never stop learning often missing details that are staring us in the face.

The goodwill here is very similar to the goodwill we enjoyed living in the backstreets years ago and long may it continue, the true Sheffield spirit.

PopT

Archived