Prescription charges

Is there no way you can get a HC1 or equivalent form- I only discovered them a year into full time study and it's been a godsend.

How did you manage that? When I was at uni I was told I could not have my regular prescriptions free as my student loan counted as income.:huh:

How did you manage that? When I was at uni I was told I could not have my regular prescriptions free as my student loan counted as income.:huh:

Had no job and no further income beyond basic loan- considering financial outgoings so qualified- since have job but nowhere near what they constitute self sufficient thus still free- but was paying full whack for more treatment in first year then this whilst exempt. Depends how long ago you were at uni though, wasn't there substanstially more money on offer in past years? (I may be wrong just a thought)

Had no job and no further income beyond basic loan- considering financial outgoings so qualified- since have job but nowhere near what they constitute self sufficient thus still free- but was paying full whack for more treatment in first year then this whilst exempt. Depends how long ago you were at uni though, wasn't there substanstially more money on offer in past years? (I may be wrong just a thought)

No not really, its only 8 years since I was there, I think it worked out at around £73 pw yet the government insisted the loan was income, I argued how can a loan be income when you are paying interest on it but it did no good.

No not really, its only 8 years since I was there, I think it worked out at around £73 pw yet the government insisted the loan was income, I argued how can a loan be income when you are paying interest on it but it did no good.

I find that strange, esp that loan was classed as enough enough income- weird that they take the loan first as a port of call for all other necessities such as healthcare over residential, but still luckily I'm not a sickly student so don't feel too (:|) bad about having the one-off filling.

If all prescriptions were free where would the money come from ? The NHS doesn't have bottomless funding - the money needed would have to be taken from somewhere else surely.

The goverment seems happy and able to magic billions out of thin air to pay for wars and to prop up the banks

I find that strange, esp that loan was classed as enough enough income- weird that they take the loan first as a port of call for all other necessities such as healthcare over residential, but still luckily I'm not a sickly student so don't feel too (:|) bad about having the one-off filling.

They were worse than useless, one woman I was mailing about the charges said I can't help you and passed my questions on to a man, after a couple of emails trying to find out how they could class a loan as income he said I am sorry cannot help you anymore and that was it. I mailed my MP but it was a waste of time as I never got any joy out of that either.

They were worse than useless, one woman I was mailing about the charges said I can't help you and passed my questions on to a man, after a couple of emails trying to find out how they could class a loan as income he said I am sorry cannot help you anymore and that was it. I mailed my MP but it was a waste of time as I never got any joy out of that either.

I'm sorry to hear that Ian, must have really put a spanner in the works, shame there's no retrospective cahnce to claim up to a certain time, but tbh it's ahrd enough to find current files and get paid on time let alone past members! Aaah, the good old student loan company--- Anyway I'm aware I've taken this on a massive tangent sorry thread starter!

:D

i disagree with saying the pill is "just a lifestyle drug". if it wasn't free then i wouldnt be able to afford it and i can't have long term contraceptives such as the injection or impant becuase of the effect they have on my depression. i can understand your frustration as i also have to pay for my prescriptions (for my depression which feels unfair at times as if i stop having them i end up suicidal so i have to keep taking them :suspect: i just wish prescptions were fre full stop

• 1 year later...
If all prescriptions were free where would the money come from ? The NHS doesn't have bottomless funding - the money needed would have to be taken from somewhere else surely.

I've just heard on the news that prescription charges are to increase by 20p per item (if you happen to live in England)

Those living in Wales, Scotland and Ireland don't pay a penny.

Can someone tell me why this is? Why we are subsidising those living elsewhere in the U.K?

It seems so unfair.

Archived