Heeley Bank School, 1950s

When I was there there were two prefabricated class rooms along side the dinning hall the Woodwork class was on the other side of it.

I don't know if she fancied Mr G or not, but she had the second class room we where in the first, and she started strolling through our class room to get to her own..

I think she got away with it twice, the third time Mr G shot out after her and we could hear her start crying outside the door, she didn't come through again after that..

You dint mess wi Bill...

Edited by grinder

• 4 months later...

Now up for sale by the City Council.

I feel it would be great if it could be saved along the lines of the Burton Street Centre in Hillsborough (this also a former School).

If enough interest amongst the community/local businesses/forum members a form of co op style company could purchase and operate the centre.

Several threads over the years have said that Sheffield could do with an independent hostel to cater for the budget travel market.

Part of this building could cater for this need.

So is the interest still there for Sheffield's own DIY SOS -the BIG BUILD project!!

I don't have all the expert knowledge myself by the way however from little acorns.....who knows what we could create.

What is the point of making a building grade 2 or any other grade for that matter, if there aren't any funds to keep it in reasonable repair..

Is it just an excuse for councils to allow a building to become a public liability so they can claim money from the goverment for demolition..?

He didn't half get about did Mr Goulding, as he was at Anns Road school I would guess in 1955,I'm sure he was the teacher that sat with us when we took our eleven plus exam, and I'm sure there was never another teacher that had such accuracy with a blackboard rubber, either before or after him !!

Also I can remember Miss Howard who taught us domestic science at Carfield School, she used to check out finger nails as we walked in and if the were long she would cut them straight across, plus if we did anything wrong, she would wrap out knuckels with a wooden spoon!!

The teachers were very strict back then, but because of that we remember what they taught us, I can still iron a perfect shirt, thanks to Miss Howard lol

He didn't half get about did Mr Goulding, as he was at Anns Road school I would guess in 1955,I'm sure he was the teacher that sat with us when we took our eleven plus exam, and I'm sure there was never another teacher that had such accuracy with a blackboard rubber, either before or after him !!

Also I can remember Miss Howard who taught us domestic science at Carfield School, she used to check out finger nails as we walked in and if the were long she would cut them straight across, plus if we did anything wrong, she would wrap out knuckels with a wooden spoon!!

The teachers were very strict back then, but because of that we remember what they taught us, I can still iron a perfect shirt, thanks to Miss Howard lol

I recall Miss Howard from Carfield, she had a little Riley car. She was a demon at perfection, everything had to be scrubbed at the end of her lessons, all the draining boards were scrubbed with huge hard scrubbing brushes, we used to go home with raw hands.

She even taught us how to wash combs, I ask you, as though we were some backward tribe from the darkest regions.

You are perfectly right Duffems, although both of the teachers I mention ,we don't remember them for their good points, we have never forgotten them for all their bad points, but what Miss Howard taught me, excluding the comb lol I am very grateful, I can cook, clean, sew, which is all down to her, but I still keep my nails long and smile when I think of what she did, although at the time I hated her!!

You are perfectly right Duffems, although both of the teachers I mention ,we don't remember them for their good points, we have never forgotten them for all their bad points, but what Miss Howard taught me, excluding the comb lol I am very grateful, I can cook, clean, sew, which is all down to her, but I still keep my nails long and smile when I think of what she did, although at the time I hated her!!

The irony of it is that I do wash combs the way she taught us and, yes, I can clean a house like a demented char lady and, although housekeeping is much simpler nowadays I am capable of doing it the "old way".

I never realised Miss.Howard taught at Heeley Bank, she taught my aunt at Carfield night school too.

Regards,

Duffems

• 2 months later...