Information on Pentag Manufacturing?

I haven't been past for many years. On Edmund road used to be a building where Pentag had offices. Before they were called Pentag (Precision Engineered Transmissions and Gears) they were called Aurora and before that I think Wilmot North, but both of those names were before I remember them.

The building were really terraced houses converted into offices - inside it was a really cool old but delapidated building, and behind was a large factory shop and pattern shop, going back as far as the river.

Its not there at all now, knocked down and replaced with housing, I was quite shocked.

Does anyone know what happened, and when?

• 2 years later...

I am not sure about Pentag but from 1975 - 1977 I worked as the Divisional Financial Controller for the Engineering Division of Aurora Holdings PLC whose head office was in Broomhill. There were three Sheffield companies. Aurora Gearing (Wilmot North) Ltd, W E Burnand Ltd and Emil Engineering Ltd with a fourth in Hamilton in Scotland.

Aurora Holdings, I heard, went bust in the late 70s but I am not sure what happened to the subsidiaries.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the replies, after all this time I'd forgotton about writing this back in 2009.

I found Pentag, seemed they moved into smaller premises on John Street.

Aurora Gearing (Wilmot North) was indeed the company I was trying to think of.

0742 - I worked there from 94 to 00 in two seperate stints and kept in touch with people in-between, theres a chance i might know your mate.

• 2 months later...
I am not sure about Pentag but from 1975 - 1977 I worked as the Divisional Financial Controller for the Engineering Division of Aurora Holdings PLC whose head office was in Broomhill. There were three Sheffield companies. Aurora Gearing (Wilmot North) Ltd, W E Burnand Ltd and Emil Engineering Ltd with a fourth in Hamilton in Scotland.

Aurora Holdings, I heard, went bust in the late 70s but I am not sure what happened to the subsidiaries.

Slightly off topic but related, do you know whether Aurora Holdings also owned all or part of the Scottish Brick Corporation at one point? I'm looking to find more information, and there's very little on the Aurora/ SBC link. Thanks…

Archived