Any of you ex pats now in America or Canada?

StJohn

your telling me lol, all in each others pockets, shame a government has to be run like that but thats the way it is in Miami thats sad

It wasn't too long ago that Miami was just for the rich & famous..nothing wrong with that, shame that people are afraid to even own property there now

you know i live here and i have a home my son owns a home we have good jobs its what you make of a place thats important, no need to say people are afraid to live here that just not so. yes every place has its bad spots but they also have there good spots.

I'm in Boston, Massachusetts. I lived in Los Angeles for a few years too. I definitely regret moving here. It's been fine, people are friendly, the towns are nice etc. But it's just not the same as home, and everything is so widely spaced out here. In England I could pop over the border to Derbyshire any morning and be enjoying the Peak District by lunchtime. Here I'd have to drive for hundreds of miles to get to the nearest national park, and none of them (in my opinion) match the Peak District. Plus, in England I was a day or two's train ride from any country in Europe. While I can hear immigrants speak Spanish and Portuguese by heading into downtown Boston, it's not the same.

Yup. I'd move back to England in a heartbeat, and if the current financial crisis gets any worse we'll be penniless and we might be no worse off by moving back to Blighty.

It's been a time since Beery wrote this post, so he may have already gone home. I have had many friends in both Canada and the US who have eventually gone home, and I don't blame them if it doesn't fit. Some of them return because the kids became unhappy in UK, and a cycle of transits began, all of them expensive, like being in Limbo.

I was fortunate as long service in the Royal Navy made my late wife and I less homesick for Sheffield as the years went by, so we adapted easily. I must admit I loved the Peak District too, often times cycling to Dovedale or Ashbourne and Buxton but travelling Sunday in the summer could be a bind.

I also live in New England halfway between NYC and Boston. The road from Boston to Vermont is easy driving and no big distance by our standards. There are a thousand Peak Districts in Vermont or New Hampshire. Maine is the last great wilderness to me especially north of Bangor. I canoe the Baxter Park for a week at a time with friends, camping at river clearings, fishing for supper, portaging round the big rapids of the Penobscot River.

The Adirondacks of New York aren't out of reach. The finger lakes and Lake Placid are unmatched for beauty.

New Englanders can be a little abrupt and outspoken at times, but when you're really in trouble they look out for you. I'm just recovering from severe pneumonia and my neighbors shop for me, cut my grass, pick up my mail.

All the best to all who stay or return home. At least you gave it a shot, and that takes courage.:):):)

It's been a time since Beery wrote this post, so he may have already gone home. I have had many friends in both Canada and the US who have eventually gone home, and I don't blame them if it doesn't fit. Some of them return because the kids became unhappy in UK, and a cycle of transits began, all of them expensive, like being in Limbo.

I was fortunate as long service in the Royal Navy made my late wife and I less homesick for Sheffield as the years went by, so we adapted easily. I must admit I loved the Peak District too, often times cycling to Dovedale or Ashbourne and Buxton but travelling Sunday in the summer could be a bind.

I also live in New England halfway between NYC and Boston. The road from Boston to Vermont is easy driving and no big distance by our standards. There are a thousand Peak Districts in Vermont or New Hampshire. Maine is the last great wilderness to me especially north of Bangor. I canoe the Baxter Park for a week at a time with friends, camping at river clearings, fishing for supper, portaging round the big rapids of the Penobscot River.

The Adirondacks of New York aren't out of reach. The finger lakes and Lake Placid are unmatched for beauty.

New Englanders can be a little abrupt and outspoken at times, but when you're really in trouble they look out for you. I'm just recovering from severe pneumonia and my neighbors shop for me, cut my grass, pick up my mail.

All the best to all who stay or return home. At least you gave it a shot, and that takes courage.:):):)

You sound like you're in good shape Buck ,for most of the time anyhow, myself I'v never met anyone that wanted to go back home, not just England, but Poland, Jamaica & other Islands, I do work with many people from other countries, all say they miss their country but would never go back, some even admit they don't even miss it.

I miss my family over there but thats all.

You sound like you're in good shape Buck ,for most of the time anyhow, myself I'v never met anyone that wanted to go back home, not just England, but Poland, Jamaica & other Islands, I do work with many people from other countries, all say they miss their country but would never go back, some even admit they don't even miss it.

I miss my family over there but thats all.

I think most of the returns happened while I was in Montreal. Two things might have contributed to it, the French situation was getting worse in Quebec Province making anglophones feel unwanted. ( I had the advantage of being fluent in French), and the very high cost of phoning home in 1968. We used to send reel to reel tapes acrosss the Atllantic and wait for the returns, I once drove a Sheffielder who was visiting my mill in Newfoundland across an ice field at 70 MPH. I sent a tape to my MIL and he told her all about it lol. She let me have it for that!:)

I think most of the returns happened while I was in Montreal. Two things might have contributed to it, the French situation was getting worse in Quebec Province making anglophones feel unwanted. ( I had the advantage of being fluent in French), and the very high cost of phoning home in 1968. We used to send reel to reel tapes acrosss the Atllantic and wait for the returns, I once drove a Sheffielder who was visiting my mill in Newfoundland across an ice field at 70 MPH. I sent a tape to my MIL and he told her all about it lol. She let me have it for that!:)

I'll also add my two cent's worth to beery's posting. I think it depends where you live. Beery finds the distances not as convenient. Living in rural Canada on a small island, I can walk to the beach in 10 minutes, be on a golf course in 20 (driving), go trout fishing in about much the same time, and be in a very scenic part of Maine in 5 hours (the last two driving again). We have a beautiful national park, Greenwich National Park, 30 mins drive away with an unspoiled beach that is to die for. Close by it is the more touristy Cavendish National Park where those who wish can get their fill of Anne of Green Gables and Ripley's Believe it or Not museum (well, some people go for that). Did I mention the fresh lobster at 5 dollars a pound? I do agree though that the Derbyshire countryside is beautiful and I'll be taking another eyeful of that in later in the summer. No, I've spent my life here and never regretted it.

St. John

I have lived in Pennsylvania for 50 years. Nice as it is .. it just is not home, I would go back in a heartbeat. I have to remind myself that the Sheffield I want to go back to is not there anymore.

I came to Montreal in May 1968, fell in love with the city. Was moved to the Gaspe, Quebec to take charge of the Electronicsof a papermill in 1972, then to Newfie for a year. Then back to Montreal until the company asked me to move into New England in 1977, first to Chicopee Mass then to Windsor, Connecticut in 1979 where i was awarded a green card, and was finally awarded citizenship in1987. I have now lived in Windsor Locks and East Windsor, Connecticut for nearly 30 years, and wouldn't want to live anywhere else in America.

Hi buck, I read with interest the fact that you once lived in Chicopee Mass. Chicopee Falls is nearby, right? I've visited New England many times and it's always a place I've wanted to have a look at, but never getting there. My interest in the place being that when I was a kid I had this old, spiked, single shot firearm, it had a button on the side which depressed the barrel and was a great source of entertainment to me. Where it disapeared too, I don't know. On the side of the chamber was a nameplate and the place of manufacture was Chicopee Falls, Massachusetts. It's over 60 years ago now and I've never forgotten it. From a bit of research it was believed to be something to do with coachdriver's. A coachman's pistol if you like. Can you remember a gun manufacturing company when you were there?

Archived