Fair in the Farm grounds, 1950s

I remember the farm grounds and I recall one game that they used to play on the raised stage, it was for the men and was called wesh the babby, change the babby or shave the babby. The babby was a metallic life sized facsimile of a baby and the men had to wash it, change it's nappy or shave it, I can't remember which, the handicap was that every so often the baby gave out an electric shock that caused some hilarious antics. Before writing this I've asked some of my contemporaries if they remembered it, no one can, I do hope this is not a figment of my imagination, so come on someone, back me up and prove I'm not finally going ga ga.

I remember the Farm Grounds Gala with great affection - we could never afford a holiday so our two greatest delights were the Farm Grounds Gala, (which we visited every day for the whole 2 weeks) & the day trip to Cleethorpes with the Upper Heeley Club.

As The Gala was organised by "The Sheffield Telegraph" & "The Star", it would be nice if The Star could run a feature on this with full details and, better still, some photos - I will try contacting them about this.

Remember it well. Late 40s. Lived nearby. My family even used to refer to that piece of land on Granville rd as the Fair Grounds. Coconut shies, air rifle shoots, the freak shows which as someone has pointed out would never be allowed nowadays, toffee apples and candy floss. Great memories.

Thanks hillsbro, wish I'd seen the young lady acrobat but certainly remember Larry Adler (ace) and Eddie Calvert, also lots of music of the time - 1955 I think. Just occurred to me that young lady pole dancers have a very different style these days!

Even more good memories from Sweatshopboy, Organgrinder and rogG...

• 7 months later...

Hi pensionipper - yes, the lady acrobat was fantastic. She also managed to combine gymnastics with playing the trumpet, that is, by adopting gymnastic poses while still being able to play "Oh mine papa". Her father actually stood at the bottom of the pole with his arms outstretched, as if to catch her if she fell (I think this was actually part of the 'act' as if the unthinkable had happened, there would have been two casualties).

It's a pity that the Telegraph & Star Gala ended (when? maybe c. 1960?) as it was an enjoyable 'family' event each year. Later we had the Sheffield Show, which moved from Endcliffe Park to Hillsborough Park and eventually also ended. Such a pity.

Larry Adler certainly knew how to play the harmonica. Once in London in c. 1969 I was in the "Palm Court Restaurant" of the Strand Palace Hotel and he was on a nearby table. I was too shy to go up to him and say hello!

Hi Hillsbro

I too remember the Farm Grounds. My favourite ride was the Waltzer. They used to play all the best tunes. My favourite was Tequila. ~Everytime I hear it I think of that Waltzer. In 1958 it started up just as I was getting off and it threw me off balance. I got my foot under the base and it went over my heel. I spent the next six months waiting for it to heal. My mother had said I couldn't go, so of course I went. She said it served me right, but it was too good not to go. I used to like the caterpillar as well, and all that lovely candy floss.

In those days unlike today we weren't inundated with pop music, so the fairs were a great place to hear the latest American records, in fact I would say at that time in the early 50s it was one of the few places kids and teenagers could go to hear them.

With all those flashing coloured lights and that exciting music blaring out I look back on it as an almost magical time..

The stage for the talent show that went on during the day was separate from the fair ground and set in a large natural amphitheatre just below a pond among some trees,

The grounds surrounded by a high stone wall were perfect for this kind of event and I've never understood why the council built on it..

Edited by grinder

The annual fair at the Farm Grounds was held during the last week of July. I'm looking at an ad in the July 28, 1949 edition of The Star. Sheffield's Great Holiday Week Gala. Organised by the "Sheffield Telegraph & "The Star." Advertises Miniature Train, Ponies, Zoo & Aquarium, Joe Ling's Fair with Moonrocket, Dodgems, Boxing, Teas, Running Buffet, Bar, Ice cream. Admission Adults 1 shilling, Children 6d. Proceeds to the Sheffield Children's Seaside Holiday Fund.

In one of the ads about that fair , same week, it announced "Three American Spitfires" and "Motor Cycling in mid air." "Fireworks on Saturday."

Anyone remember the fireworks displays? And how about those spitfires? What was the seaside holiday fund?

I seem to remember a Haunted House and House of Mirrors.