Fair in the Farm grounds, 1950s

My mam and dad used to take me and my sister when we were nippers in the midd to late 50s I can remember the Helter-skelter we were told to sit on the map and go down feet first .

I being the dare devil I was I turned round and went down head first all went well till the bottom when I came off the mat and crashed into the side :loopy:

I had a bump on the side of my head the size off a large apple:shocked::cry:

All was well soon as I was given money by a lot of people to stop me crying:thumbsup:

DEN

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Ronny Crookes a well known boxer ran a boxing booth.People from the audience used to challenge the boxer for a prize and the audience used to show thier appreciation by throwing coins into the ring.

I seem to remember the Calverts and Jackie Hudson being involved.

ronnie is my dad and billy is my uncle.

I remember the fair very well. My mate and me used to go up on Thursday afternoon when it was there and we were on half day.

THIS is us there pretending to be two French girls......1958/59?

We were very innocently naughty.....:hihi:

No french kisses then?

Ronny Crookes a well known boxer ran a boxing booth.People from the audience used to challenge the boxer for a prize and the audience used to show thier appreciation by throwing coins into the ring.

I seem to remember the Calverts and Jackie Hudson being involved.

Was Albert Binney from the Arbourthorne one of the boxers.

• 1 year later...

Always looked forward every year to the farm fair comeing, we used to walk round watching the men assemble the amusments made me think of the seaside. used to go 2 or three times a week when they started chargeing im sure we used to climb over the wall.