Were you a 70's/80's punk?

Hi

i was a punk (still am in most respects apart from the hair :P) from about 1983, i missed the 1st wave, and some of the 2nd wave :(.

i started off into bands like GBH, exploited, mau maus and discharge, aswell as OI! then got more into the anarcho scene, crass, conflict, subhumans. which then led onto the crusty / grindcore scene, which in turn led onto the reggae/hippy, rave / drum and bass scenes.

Did you go to Beaver Hill?

Hi all, thanks so much for the replies so far - melthebell that is a fantastic mohican! How on earth did you get it to stay in place? I had one a few years back and always had difficulties getting it to stand up straight. :-)

my mum, and a mate (after i left home) used to back comb it for me, then id spray "hard rock" hairspray on it while hanging my head downwards and using both hands to smooth it downards (upwards if you know what i mean lol)

the hairsprays prolly why im now balding down the middle :(

punks nowadays would wanna wear a grands worth of clobber, we could do it on a fiver.

a fiver?

i used to wear long johns and cardies off mi grandad

and i used to have a pair of shreds that had alsorts of stuff tied into em (wire fencing, shoelaces, beer towels, even the cover off a parking meter :P)

me and a few mates also used to wear some EMI blazers we found in the old ABC cinema after it shut

Kate,

I am the guy who has written the Punk book 'Our Generation'...you will get some great stories from East bank (one of my books contributors) and if you want any info from myself about that era, get in touch with me and I will also help. There are quite a few knowledgable people on here who were around so pm a few and I reckon you will get most of the info that you need.

Tony

Archived