Northern lights in Sheffield?

i have been told to look out tonight for Northern lights

I heard my neighbour shouting at the top of his voice to his friend earlier about green lights in the sky.. genuinely thought he'd had a bit much of what he was smoking.

will have to have a look later

YES it was the Northern lights! sad I missed them!

The sun is reaching the peak of its 11 year magnetic cycle and is very active at the moment.

There have been several large solar flares which have resulted in CME's...Coronal Mass Ejections.(millions of tons of charged particles literally spat in our direction.)

Yesterdays CME was the result of an M9 solar flare. It hit Earths magnetosphere around 1500 and triggered some of the best Aurora for years.

Flights around the polar regions were diverted last night as a precaution.

The M9 flare was one level lower than an X flare, which can trigger power cuts and all sorts of trouble!

Tonight is predicted to be quiet, but Friday/ Saturday is looking promising for visible Aurora as far south as the midlands!

Keep looking towards the northern horizon! good luck!:)

YES it was the Northern lights! sad I missed them!

The sun is reaching the peak of its 11 year magnetic cycle and is very active at the moment.

There have been several large solar flares which have resulted in CME's...Coronal Mass Ejections.(millions of tons of charged particles literally spat in our direction.)

Yesterdays CME was the result of an M9 solar flare. It hit Earths magnetosphere around 1500 and triggered some of the best Aurora for years.

Flights around the polar regions were diverted last night as a precaution.

The M9 flare was one level lower than an X flare, which can trigger power cuts and all sorts of trouble!

Tonight is predicted to be quiet, but Friday/ Saturday is looking promising for visible Aurora as far south as the midlands!

Keep looking towards the northern horizon! good luck!:)

Thanks for the info, I'm stopping in lincolnshire out in the sticks at the weekend so will be having a look out!

Bugger, am heading to Norfolk on Friday for the weekend :rolleyes: Would've liked the chance to see something

Aurora were visible as far as north Norfolk area on Tuesday night so you might still be in luck, darker sky's down there too which will help!

Heads up!

The sun has just released an x class solar flare, there is also a strong solar wind at the moment caused by a coronal hole. (suns got wind,:D)

In short, look for auroras in the northern skies tomorrow and Sunday night.

Nothing's certain until it gets but looks promising!

Good luck

Heads up!

The sun has just released an x class solar flare, there is also a strong solar wind at the moment caused by a coronal hole. (suns got wind,:D)

In short, look for auroras in the northern skies tomorrow and Sunday night.

Nothing's certain until it gets but looks promising!

Good luck

Have you seen anything yet ?

Archived