Northern lights in Sheffield?

Just wondered if it's possible to see some sort of northern lights in sheffield? I was out loading my van at 5:45 this morning and in the far distance the sky was glowing and changing brightness for about 5 minutes. I thought it was distant sheet lightening to start with, but it was far softer than that and didn't go from light to dark quickly, it just kinda wobbled? I live in Crookes and was looking out over Hillsborough.

They have been seen as far south as the Mediterranean (Italy). I first saw them from Pudsey in about 1969, so Sheffield's definitely not out of the question. It's not uncommon to see them from Northern Scotland in most years.

From my house at night I can often see blue lights flashing in the distance- in the region of the Manor estate:confused: Sometimes on a still night if you listen very hard the lights are accompanied by an eerie whailing sound.. :suspect:

I saw them in Mexborough years ago.

I was a radio ham at the time and we all rushed to the nearest transmitter.

Even low power VHF signals were bouncing off it.

I thought vhf was ground wave

Archived