Shops in Darnall

• 9 months later...
does anyone remember Whartons newsagents and Hamers greengrocers in Shirland lane darnall?

not only do I remember hamers,I used to go out with the daughter Jennifer.My father had the other greengrocers on Cravens Road.

does anyone remember Whartons newsagents and Hamers greengrocers in Shirland lane darnall?

I certainly do!

Whartons News Agent was on the corner of Shirland Lane and I think Faranden Street Street.

Albert Wharton ran the shop with his Brother who lived across the road at the rear of the Butchers,at the top of Whixley Road.

Hamers Green Grocers were just down Shirland lane towards Cattal Street.

Next to hamers was a Barbers. if you could call him that.Then on the corner of Cattal Street was a Grocers, Bonsons.

On the other corner of Faranden Street across fom Whartons was a Fish and Chip shop.

I used to have a paper round at Whartons for a few years so I remember the area well. Just about everybody I knew had a paper round in those days.

Yes I remember Jennifer Hamer very well.The last I heard she was living in Aston.

My Grandmother had a shop on main road darnall from about 1930 - 1955.her name was polly wright,it was a grocery shop...very antiquated....when she left it became wesley's a fishing tackle shop...the trams stopped outside...Happy days!!!

Archived