Were some adoptions done illegally

i dont want to mention names as people are still living i have an adopted half sister who was adopted in the early 1940s who i managed to trace only a few years ago.

the reason i found her so easy to trace was because my mother knew her adopted name and who adopted her.

how was that possible in 1940.

i dont want to mention names as people are still living i have an adopted half sister who was adopted in the early 1940s who i managed to trace only a few years ago.

the reason i found her so easy to trace was because my mother knew her adopted name and who adopted her.

Because, after 1927 it was a legal requirement to have documented adoptions, prior to that there was no legal legislation so any transfer of a child into someone else's care was done purely by arrangement so it wasn't illegal before 1927, after that date it was illegal.

the adoption took place in 1940,i just wondered what the rules and regulations were then as my mom always knew from day 1 what her daughters adopted name was and who were the adoptive parents ( a very prominent person at the time ) in the legal profession.

I don't think they had the red tape and background checks then that they do now.It was not unknown for childless couples to adopt children from people who couldn't afford to keep them and I'm sure that the people who administrated these matters would only have been happy to expedite things as long as the paperwork was in order.The fact that the adoptive family had some legal clout would also have been very handy.

I was born during the second world war, my mum's pregnancy being quite an unexpected surprise to my parents. I was the youngest of three kids. As I was growing up, I was told, a childless couple, family friends, that lived across the street, had begged my parents to let them adopt me, so perhaps during this time it was not unusual for unofficial adoptions to take place.

Archived