Were some adoptions done illegally

Apparently before 1927 you did not have to register adoptions

Damn, no chance of finding out more about my great grandmother's adoption then. She was French, but her mother came over to England (Brighton) to give birth to her (the father's name and profession on the birth certificate is blank, so we presume she was illegitimate). She was looked after by a couple in Brighton, and then my great great grandparents (not my real ones of course) brought her up to Sheffield, and she stayed here.

I would have loved to have known more about the adoption, but as this was in 1884, I guess it won't have been registered.

(Also, on the birth cetificate, under the place of birth, it says '13 Kensington Gardens U.S.D'. Does anyone know what U.S.D stands for? I've looked on google, but all it brings up is stuff about U.S dollars.)

I think it's Urban Sanitary District, I believe it to be regarding areas covered by certain Council rulings but, really nothing to do with the birth itself.

"Urban Sanitary Districts were formed as a result of the 1873 & 1875 Public Health Acts they were not new divisions of local government but existing authorities that were given a different name and responsibilities.

They lasted until 1894 and the Local Government Act 1894 merged them into corporations and urban districts.

The name is not really important what was important was the USD rated the inhabitants to provide relief for the poor and had responsibilities for the poor of the district amongst their other responsibilities."

Duffems

i just wonder if the adoption papers would still be available

From 30 December 2005 changes to the law will enable birth relatives to also apply for access to an adopted person’s adoption registration. However Access to Adoption Records for birth relatives must be done via Intermediary Agencies.

Adoption Contact Register

Adopted person(s) or birth relatives wishing to make contact with each other can register on the Adoption Contact Register.

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/adoptions/index.asp

Tuppie

I used to work with a guy who came from a family of 17 children (he is now in his early 60's so was born in the 40's). Their neighbours after many years of trying were childless and consequently 3 of the younger children were "given away" to them. The neighbour, husband and 3 kids subsequently moved to Scotland were he was head hunted for a job in the pit when nationalisation occured... apart from holidays etc the real family rarely saw the 3 kids. The guy assures me there was never anything legal in place but rather a mutual agreement between the 2 families

• 2 months later...

i think my grandmother born 1881 was adopted this way as her mother died and her sister and father went into the workhouse but i cannot find any details , or of her sister who was 9 when she went into the workhouse, but im still looking.

My daughter is doing the family tree and recently found out her mother's mum was adopted, she was born in 1927 but was adopted two years later. Can she find out any information from anywhere as she doesnt know where to turn now and feels guilty that she can't find any information on her Nan for her mum.

An old man who i used to chat to in the Old Harrow on Broad St in the seventies. Told me that when he was a child living around Duke street in the twenties it was not uncommon for people to find babies abandoned on their doorsteps.

Young unmarried mothers assumed to be from Fulwood but undoubtedly from all over the city would leave them perhaps with a few shillings.

The woman of the house or one of the neighbours, would just take them in.

If you are already feeding 10 or 12 then whats one more.

My dad's mum 'took' a child from his parents in the early 1920s. He was always begging for food, so my grandma told his mum that if she wouldn't look after him SHE would!

She was newly married but childless at the time and uncle Harold was 6 years old.

He idolised my grandma - who went on to have 4 children of her own - and called her his angel.

His mum was a 'bl**dy flibberdegibbet' according to grandma!

My daughter is doing the family tree and recently found out her mother's mum was adopted, she was born in 1927 but was adopted two years later. Can she find out any information from anywhere as she doesnt know where to turn now and feels guilty that she can't find any information on her Nan for her mum.

Use the address posted in Tuppie's post.

Archived