Blades to splash out on a new kop

scottf

Not really, with decent investment, theres plenty of scope for improvement. Strafford mentioned that for Euro 96 plans had been drawn up to extend Hillsborough to 70k - thank god they didn't, I'd have to take a mega phone to speak to the person nearest to me:hihi:

swfc get decent crowds 20k - and the grounds only half full. any improvements would only expand the capacity. why would anyone do that ? Anyone serious about swfc will re-locate ya, markmywords

swfc get decent crowds 20k - and the grounds only half full. any improvements would only expand the capacity. why would anyone do that ? Anyone serious about swfc will re-locate ya, markmywords

Theres no need to. I'd be seriously annoyed. I do not want to be playing in a generic bowl stadium - Saint Marys', Walkers, Ricoh etc

i second that alty:thumbsup: i would never want us to move. not sure on the cost of knocking stands down and putting new ones up compared to a new stadium but unless it really was the best thing for the club i would hate it

If you were to move, it'd probably only be temporary (e.g. to Don Valley) while they demolished the substandard parts of Hillsborough and started again - would cost a lot to do that though... DVS should hold around 20k though, so should be enough for most games.

Regarding the World Cup, it'll depend how many venues they need to see if either Sheffield club would be considered... if they had only the choice of one in Yorkshire, they'll go with Leeds even if both of the others have been upgraded, what with their history...

I just hope United's plans aren't all dependent on getting a few World Cup group games possibly in 9 years time... no need to have a 40k stadium unless we become a stable PL club, and that's not imminent...! The ground as it is is fine for our needs, with perhaps a few changes.

If you were to move, it'd probably only be temporary (e.g. to Don Valley) while they demolished the substandard parts of Hillsborough and started again - would cost a lot to do that though... DVS should hold around 20k though, so should be enough for most games.

Regarding the World Cup, it'll depend how many venues they need to see if either Sheffield club would be considered... if they had only the choice of one in Yorkshire, they'll go with Leeds even if both of the others have been upgraded, what with their history...

I just hope United's plans aren't all dependent on getting a few World Cup group games possibly in 9 years time... no need to have a 40k stadium unless we become a stable PL club, and that's not imminent...! The ground as it is is fine for our needs, with perhaps a few changes.

I don't think Elland Rd would get chosen. Sheffield is the home of football and both grounds have far more history than Elland Rd. Both are currently better than Elland Rd in my opinion, so with both Sheffield grounds having investment, think it would be between us.

I think it really is a daft idea. You will never fill it. Look at Hillsborouh for example. We'd only sell out to the big clubs in the premiership. Waste of money

were looking at the bigger picture here my owl. mccabe wants us in the premiership not championship

i think us owls are all a little negative this week -what with the club statement

theres sooo much negative talk on here from wednesday supporters, SOUR GRAPES i think

get a grip. the thread is about the new kop / ground keep on thread :thumbsup:

well the FA are allowed to use 2 grounds from only 2 city so i would say it would be london (wembley and the emirates) and manchester (trafford and eastlands) apart from that then they can only use one venue per city- newcastle, liverpool, villa are all certain to be chosen so i guess its just upto united to do all they can to get some games.

As for extending our capacity- when we went up into the premership- we had the hightest %age of seats fillen in the entire league- with something like 98% of the ground being filled for each game so extendid the kop just makes sense.

Even if we just go up for one season then 5000 extra seats at an average price of £20 would bring in and extra £100,000 of revenue each game- multiply that over the entire season and you see why it would be well worth doing!!!

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/Sour%20Grapes.jpg

Just going to make it a better ground than it already is and maybe we can host a few big matches like hillsborouh did when it had its last lick of paint in the 70's.

Time to face up to the fact that we are the bigger club on and off the field Alty.

Nice what Staffords doing but its nothing new and certainly not making you a

force to be reckoned with.

Blades = Rolls Royce

owls = Mini cooper spinning its wheels ;)

So we didn't practically rebuild the South Stand, adding hospitality suites and restaurants in the 1990's then, I must have been dreaming. :confused:

And as for 'big club', we had the opportunity to be a big club in the early 60's and 90's and blew it both times. Utd have never been a big club in my lifetime and probably, like Wednesday, never will be. Constructing the narrowest stand in the world, adding a bit of cladding to the Bramhall (note your hillsborouh) Lane end, and a few corners of the ground being utilised for seating doesn't make for a big club. :rolleyes:

A big club wins things on a regular basis, qualifies for Europe, and most importantly, doesn't keep reminding itself that it's a big club, because it doesn't have to, it knows. ;)

Blades = Skoda purporting to be a Ferrari

Owls = Ferrari purporting to be a Skoda

:hihi::hihi:

Archived