Summer Street

My father and his family were from the Summer Street/ Fawcett Street area. Many of the residents were moved to the new estates like new Greenhill and Gleadless Valley during the 1956/7 clearances.

My grandmother's parents were in Summer Street, and her Father kept racing pigeons, after my gran and grandpa married, they had a maisonette off west street, and thne after being bombed out of there during the war, they settled in Fawcett St, opposite St Steven's Church (which is the church they married in) where the co-op and other shops were built after the clearances

Hi Choirgirl, I lived in Dover Street from 51-66 and I am sure it was Summer Street which my pals dad used to stable his horse which he had to pull the dray for his fruit and veg deliveries as they had the fruit shop just below the White Hart pub in the early 50s

Are we talking about Summer St.in Lower Walkley?I spent the first year of my life there living at my grandmother's house and went there all the time in the 50s.My grandma was Bertha Colley and other names I remember are Eden and Morton.

Are we talking about Summer St.in Lower Walkley?I spent the first year of my life there living at my grandmother's house and went there all the time in the 50s.My grandma was Bertha Colley and other names I remember are Eden and Morton.

Glyn, did Bertha have a relative called Mary Colley? My grandma had a close friend called Mary. My gran's maiden name was Eadon.

(Summer Street is more "Crookesmooor/ Nnetherthorpe way, near the Ponderosa field, but you aren't far out.)

Yes indeed PT, my grandma's younger sister was Mary and also one of her daughters.Her other children were Bill,Bertha,George,Leila (pronounced Lyla)Harry,Nellie (my mum)and Elijah AKA Lije or Leo.

Did Nellie have very "pronounced" teeth? (I'm just wracking my brains to think...)

I am sure it was the colleys who my gran used to use to "con" my uncle Ken into eating his tea, when he was a toddler! my uncle would not eat his tea if my Gran had cooked it, so my Gran would send his tea round to the Colleys, they'd pretend Mrs Colley had cooked it, and he'd eat the lot right up, the little tinker!

Archived