Summer Street

Hi Sirglyn - wow fancy you hearing about "the hundred steps". These were off Mushroom Lane between Summer St & Powell St, on the opposite side of the road. They were very steep, but even tho' I counted them many times I don't think there were actually 100! They went down from Mushoom Lane to another road (I can't remember the name) but this ran along the back of the houses in Mushooom Lane and went down to what we called 'the tip', or to give it its posh name Crookesmoor Recreation Ground. This is where we did our sledging. The other end of the road, I think finished up somewhere near Fawcett St.

Hello choirgirl , the "hundred "steps went from Mushroom Lane down to Bromley St ., I seem to remember there being 82 steps , I can't remember why they were named the "hundred " steps though ! Bromley St went down to Fawcett St. Roger Taylor never lived at Fulwood,they lived at number 44 ,Bromley St . His Mother and Father bought a house on Brooklands Crescent about 1965 . Roger went touring all over the world with the Davis cup team , he bought a ranch in Portugal which he turned into a tennis academy . He has since gone on to being the Davis team coach . I lived at number 94 Bromley St , next to the shop (Mr & Mrs Evans' ) at the side of the " Tip ", very happy memories !!

deecee

Hi Deecee - thanks for the info on R. Taylor - apologies. We knew Roger's parents lived on Brooklands Cresc and assumed (wrongly) that he was living with them then. The 82 steps sounds about right & no I don't know why they were called "the 100 steps". As you say happy memories.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi chiorgirl

my aunt had the shop on Weston St opposite Summer St Winnie Thorpe and my cousins are Pat and Sue I used to knock about with Edward Fullbrook whose parents had the shop at the corner of SummerSt and Weston St ,he is a doctor now.

Archived