Nonnas on Ecclesall Road

SuzyQ

I used to like Nonnas, good food nice place, but went back there recently and the staff were very very rude, well one was anyway - shan't be going again!!!:mad:

For good Italian food try Kitos in Woodseat - well kept secret - oops, cats out of the bag now

For coffe try the italian coffe bar in broomhill, don't remember the name, next door to HSBC haven't had an espresso that good since Rome! :thumbsup:

Originally posted by Sara

For coffe try the italian coffe bar in broomhill, don't remember the name, next door to HSBC haven't had an espresso that good since Rome! :thumbsup:

Is that Remo's? If so, I completely agree. They swiped Nonnas' coffee crown some time ago (IMO of course!!)

Thats the one - knew it was great the first time I went there as when the guy serving me put the espresso on my table, he immediately whipped it away again as he did not think the crema was perfect enough. Ended up having two cups waiting for my appoiuntment in the bank and talked the ear off my bank manager. Perfect, lovely, wonderful coffee. Where would we be without it?:thumbsup:

Glad it's not just me who thinks Nonna's has let itself go recently. Used to like the food there - especially the desserts yummy. But the last 2 times the food was ok but the service was annoying. They obviously wanted our table so served us super-quick and hung around annoyingly. So we ordered another bottle wine and it took the 3 of us over another hour to drink it. I find it really annoying if I book for a table for the evening to be chased out as soon as my main course hits the table.

Last visit we didn't even make through the door - we could see it was really busy so we went to the one nextdoor ( was Grouchos is now a number can't recall what) - now that was great food and quality service. And far less Versace.

I've only been a couple of times but not eaten there. You only have to drive past to see it's full of pretentious nobodies who are there 'to be seen'. Gosh, how boring. (I bet most of them park their Vauxhalls round the back.)

There are quality establishments which haven't 'gone big' (physically and mentally) and thus watered-down what was appealing about them in the first place. West 10 in Ranmoor is one. Piccolo's off West Street is another (albeit more restauranty).

And I still rate Yankees as good as anything on Eccie Road. No pretentiousness there, just decent grub and beer, excellent priced wine - in and out in 45 minutes, or stay and drink more if you wish - pleasant service (they smile too) and real value for money.

AND you're not too embarrassed to park your Vauxhall on the front!!!

I've been a few times ... and quite enjoyed myself ...

They do the best hot chocolate in Sheffield ... I'm sure they put rum or something in it ...

There does seem to be quite a few snobbish wannabie up their own bum types in there ... it all adds to the entertainment value!

I would recommend the place opposite Nonnas;

543 - great food and they don't take bookings - 1st come 1st served.

Also recommend Crystal - food was lovely and the staff were very friendly and helpful.

Archived