Pencils In Polling Stations

Originally posted by rubydazzler

First time voter then Trever? They've always used those little stubby pencils held on with a bit of string ...

They take an ordinary pencil and cut it into four pieces .... economy, economy, economy! :D

Are you sure? Can't remember using pencils before. I've seen marker pens and normal pens but never pencils, must be a Parson Cross/Hillsborough thing

As I said on another thread, I've been voting in General Elections and local elections since 1969 in many different locations and I've never seen anything but little stubby pencils used ... you can use your own pen I suppose ...

Sara, nice idea lol - but it's a matter of honour for each presiding officer to get the ballot box from the polling station to the count asap ... and as soon as they arrive, usually within minutes of the polls closing .. they're tipped out onto the tables and sorted watched closely by candidates, agents and supporters ... even if anyone wanted to alter them - they wouldn't have time ...

spiffy, crayons? you posh things! :P

• 5 years later...

I've only ever used pencils in Sheffield voting....made me curious so looked this topic up. I realise there is no chance for rigging votes really, I think it's probably economy and also pencils aren't likey to 'run-out' like pens do. but I will from now on be taking my own pen!

:suspect:

Archived