Are we living in a classless society? Does class still matter?

Originally posted by t020

Surely the reaction to this thread answers the thread title question with a "no" and a "yes"?

Not necessarily, it means people disagree with each other about the subject, that's all.

Whilst we can't agree on the method of deciding class, everyone has their own ideas about what it means, so we obviously don't live in a classless society

Quite, we can't even define the subject in a meaningful way, so how can you put people in a given "class", and if you can't do that, the system must be defunct. Case closed your-honour.

...The effort put into the posts shows that it definitely does still matter.

See the first answer.

:)

Foo,

I don't think there is an expression to describe Cyclone's traits. However, as Jon J says, Cyclone is certainly no quitter. As is the case with your good self, and To 20 too. This thread has been the site of some ferociously intense argument but nobody has fallen out. Cyclone, once you get to know his ways , which probably do stem from his 'logical', programming job, is infinitely preferable to some, demented posters I could mention.

Yes, I hand it to Cyclone, he can take the jibes, and the interrogations, and still hold on in there.

Originally posted by foo_fighter

Not necessarily, it means people disagree with each other about the subject, that's all.

For people to be disagreeing about something, it has to matter, or else they wouldn't bother arguing about it. Therefore class does still matter.

Originally posted by foo_fighter

Quite, we can't even define the subject in a meaningful way, so how can you put people in a given "class", and if you can't do that, the system must be defunct. Case closed your-honour.

Ok then, what is time? Clearly define the concept of time and if you can't it must be defunct (by your logic).

Population wide (not on this forum) I believe most people have similar ideas about what makes a working, middle or upper class person. This is why the terms are still so widely used in the media.

...Population wide (not on this forum) I believe most people have similar ideas about what makes a working, middle or upper class person. This is why the terms are still so widely used in the media.

This has all been covered in the previous 13 pages.

If you have a sensible definition, which can be agreed upon, please produce it for us all to discuss.

:)

For people to be disagreeing about something, it has to matter, or else they wouldn't bother arguing about it. Therefore class does still matter.

Does that mean it matters? Or does it mean it matters for it not to matter?

Originally posted by timo

Cyclone, once you get to know his ways , which probably do stem from his 'logical', programming job, is infinitely preferable to some, demented posters I could mention.

It's odd, but I work in programming and my mind is like a ball of tangled string, I like to keep it that way incase I start to sound like a machine.

Yes, Nick, we know and love how your rare and beautiful mind works. Your bon mot was either your announcement that, if ever you came to power you would have Sir Cliff Richard hurled into a volcano, or possibly, your reference to 'Aldi Qaider' as the supermarket favoured by Saddam Hussein. Sometimes the ball of string unravels in amusing ways...

Archived