FJ Marsden 43 Blonk Street Sheffield

It seems it was a sizeable firm - the 1925 directory lists:

"Frederick John Marsden, saddler & harness maker" at three addresses: 23 Bridgehouses, 36 Sutherland Street and 43 Blonk Street. The home address is given as 167 Andover Street. The Bridgehouses property, albeit looking rather run-down, appears on a 1930s photo on the picturesheffield.com site: http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=u00553

Frederick J. Marsden, saddler & harness maker aged 37, appears in the 1901 census at 90 Fitzalan Street.

• 3 years later...

I read with interest your enquiry re 41blonk st.

Asa young boy i spent many happy hours polishing and waxing in the saddlers shop with mr marsden this was in the early 40s. My father had 39 and 41 blonk street and then took over 43 45 after the saddler retired.my connection with blonk street has been lifelong and if you look at the building now there it has a wall with fireplace that has been preserved. I used to light that fire , originally there was a blacksmiths shop behind there and further behind there were stables which housed t w wards elephant which was behind hancock and lants.there is a photo in the offices of t w wards to this day.i hope this fills in a few gaps for you.

• 3 years later...

Hi there,

I am a metal detector who works to support the pas , I have just found a

saddle makers brass oval name plate stamped with the makers name F. J.

Marsden, Sheffield, it measures about 55mm x 40mm in heavy brass, just

thought you might like to know, also my late father owned a business on

blonk street, and I remember their was a leather worker at the back of his premises.

Regards Rob

I read with interest your enquiry re 41blonk st.

Asa young boy i spent many happy hours polishing and waxing in the saddlers shop with mr marsden this was in the early 40s. My father had 39 and 41 blonk street and then took over 43 45 after the saddler retired.my connection with blonk street has been lifelong and if you look at the building now there it has a wall with fireplace that has been preserved. I used to light that fire , originally there was a blacksmiths shop behind there and further behind there were stables which housed t w wards elephant which was behind hancock and lants.there is a photo in the offices of t w wards to this day.i hope this fills in a few gaps for you.

As a lad I used to live in Exchange buildings which were just before Ladys Bridge & Hancock & Lant were at the back of where we lived. I vaguely remember some shops on Blonk Street, There was a newsagents where I used to fetch the newspaper "Motor Transport" as he was a lorry driver, there were other shops but not sure what they were as its a long time ago !